strike temperature

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brewjohn
Piss Artist

strike temperature

Post by brewjohn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:35 pm

I have 2 mash tuns both homemade and find both have the same problem. If I fill with water at 72c ( after heating the tun) adding the grain brings it down to about 63-64 and have to add hot water to get it back up to 66C I find I have to start at about 75-76 and then add grain to get a mash of 66c. Apart from that they keep the temp steady over 60mins does anyone else find they have to start the strike bit hotter . PS the grain is allways at room temperature.

Jim
Site Admin

Re: strike temperature

Post by Jim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:49 pm

An important variable is the ratio of water to grain. Less water or more grain will mean a lower mash temperature for the same strike water temperature. Andy has produced a neat little calculator to help you work this out - here.

I find I have to use a strike temperature of 73C to get the mash to start out at around 66C. That's using about 3l of water per kg of grain.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

brewjohn
Piss Artist

Post by brewjohn » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks JIm. I used 2.5Ltr to each Kg of grain as in Graham Wheelers book but it most likely ended up as 3Ltr by the time extra hot water was added

AceMcAce
Hollow Legs

Post by AceMcAce » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:06 pm

Count yourself lucky. My mash tun is made from a sanke keg and my strike water needs to be 85 degrees to get the mash at 67.
Flying the flag for stupidtity since 1985

https://www.youtube.com/oysterboysbrewingco

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:44 pm

I add strike water to my mash tun to warm it. If it's still above strike temperature I can just leave it a few minutes with the lid off to cool to where I need it.

Keep lots of notes and you'll figure out the right volume and temperatures before long.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:11 pm

my old trusty viking coldbox tun out on the patio in all weather, needed a single kettle of boiling water in for 20mins to preheat and a strike temp of 71.7c according to my controler and probe to hit a mash temp of 66-67 with a grainbill of 4.5- 5kg.

then i upgraded to a bigger SS thermopot inside a dedicated brewshed , Now i add 3-4 kettles of water to preheat and underlet my strike liquor at 74-5C.. took a couple of brews and a few thin mashes to hit the sweetspot..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:29 am

I got my mashtun, a Coleman Extreme together with all the necessary plumbing for a tenner off the 'Barnsley Brewer' (eyup John!) about six years ago. Got to be the bargain of the century, if not all-time. Anyways I mash on the high-side these days so strike temp is 75C, mash ends up at 68-69C and it'll hold that temp for longer than I'll ever require it to.