Rousing hops in primary

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Rousing hops in primary

Post by MTW » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:55 pm

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth rousing my dry hop pellets in the primary, to increase extraction. I normally dry hop in a reasonably clear secondary, but I'm following a BrewDog recipe that calls for 'FV' hops, as distinct from dry hops, in their DIY Dog recipes. This seems to be interpreted as an addition made with a few points left to ferment (in the primary FV). Mine went in at 1.014 yesterday, after 4 days, down from 1.061, and is sat at 19C.

The thing is, it would obviously rouse up the yeast cake too, which I would think would only serve to help the yeast scrub more of the hop oils down to the bottom as it sinks for a second time. We hear of commercial breweries bubbling CO2 up from the bottom to rouse hops, but I don't know for sure whether this is ever done in primary. Do you?

As a slight aside, I put the pellets in straight from the freezer - 175g into 19L - and the resultant green swamp on top never looked thick enough to represent all that went in. So I'm just pondering whether there's a danger that frozen pellets sink and get caught up in the cake, before having chance to wash around in the FV for a while.

Any thoughts?
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

McMullan

Re: Rousing hops in primary

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:50 pm

I have heard some Brewers dry hop during vigorous primary fermentation. Apparently, the activity (of the yeast) increases extraction of the volatile oils significantly, to the point it negates the losses 'assumed by wisdom'. Never tried it, but it sounds like another interesting experiment.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Thinking about, if what I typed is true, when the yeast flocc, they might pull down the hop veg matter?

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Think at 1014 you'd have to do some pretty heavy rousing to worry about reintroducing the cake into suspension. My experience suggests you'd probably just move a bit about a bit which as you say may helpfully drag some of the hop mess down with it anyway.

To be honest, I reckon that 175g in 19 litres is going to give you what its going to give you regardless of anything you do to it now. Any extra extraction you might squeeze out is likely to be undetectable and probably not worth the risk of meddling is it?

I've never seen a frozen hop sink btw. Not saying they don't but my view is if they're in there, they're in there adding their stuff. I tend to worry more about the ones that won't sink. They're the ones I focus on.
Tea is for mugs...

Wonkydonkey
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Wonkydonkey » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:16 pm

I agree with fego, but maybe next time, do it a bit different, ie defrost hops. But that's after you taste the beer
To Busy To Add,

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Thanks all. Yes, I may defrost them next time, simply because I've never heard of a commercial brewery freezing hops. If in doubt, I tend to resort to that sort of test.

Plenty of hop flavour is certainly coming through (more than the aroma on this occasion), so I won't do anything.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:15 pm

Brewing hops have very low moisture content. I wouldn't say they actually freeze. I only use whole hops, but they are stored in the freezer. They barely feel cold straight out of minus 20. The idea of 'defrosting' them is a bit weird, TBH :?

BrannigansLove
Hollow Legs

Post by BrannigansLove » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:10 am

I'd echo the don't worry about it comments. All my hops are kept in the freezer, and when needed just get weighed out and chucked into the kettle or FV.