Wheelers Hopping

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
froggi
Piss Artist

Wheelers Hopping

Post by froggi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Forgive if this has been touched on before but here goes

Just looking through my copy of Wheeler and Protz Brew Your Own Real Ale At Home and noticed the first hop additions into the boiler on a recipe are fairly high.... plugged the numbers into BeerSmith for the style of beer and the IBU's are way off the scale.... adjusted everything to take in the malt bill and get the ABV° right, colour (I know this particular beer extremely well - was almost weaned on the stuff!!!) and the bittering is around double Wheeler et al suggest..... Anyone any thoughts or can signpost me to a past thread??

Cheers folks

Normski
Under the Table

Re: Wheelers Hopping

Post by Normski » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:37 pm

Grahams recipes dont give the AA of the hops just the total EBU of the brew.
You should adjust the bittering hops to allow for this.
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by jaroporter » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 pm

Graham himself has actually posted in response to this question before, worth digging around for the threads (other forums maybe) if you can find them. basically there are a few different methods used to calculate bitterness, and all are pretty flawed, some more than others! people and their software have their preferences and use different methods. i believe some claimed his recipes to be overhopped while others underhopped!
it's essentially an arbitrary figure anyways, so just pick one method and keep using it as a reference for consistancy
dazzled, doused in gin..

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:54 am

froggi wrote:Forgive if this has been touched on before but here goes

Just looking through my copy of Wheeler and Protz Brew Your Own Real Ale At Home and noticed the first hop additions into the boiler on a recipe are fairly high.... plugged the numbers into BeerSmith for the style of beer and the IBU's are way off the scale.... adjusted everything to take in the malt bill and get the ABV° right, colour (I know this particular beer extremely well - was almost weaned on the stuff!!!) and the bittering is around double Wheeler et al suggest..... Anyone any thoughts or can signpost me to a past thread??

Cheers folks
Try using Graham's own calculator. It's free its English it gives a more accurate colour and it's here.

http://www.practicalbrewing.co.uk/main/ ... eerengine/
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:08 pm

GW’s book was written to get people home brewing without too much complication. He states clearly the recipes are starting points for home brewers to adjust as they wish based on personal taste and equipment. I’ve found the recipes to be valuable, in terms of great beer and inspiration. In terms of hopping, what you could try is adding more. A finished commercial beer may have about xIBUs, but due to losses in the boil and fermentation, you might want to add more than x in the recipe you are following, assuming it’s based on an accurate description of a beer produced commercially. Part of the fun is messing around with stuff :wink:

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:25 pm

As said above, hop utilisation has so many difficult-to-control variables that no formula is going to work perfectly for everyone.

You need to experiment to see how recipes come out on your own particular brewing setup and adjust future recipes to suit.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:52 pm

These threads are definitely worth a read and contain some good information from the man himself as well as others (the first appears off topic but read the lot of it):

http://forum.craft brewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=8737&hilit=Abbot&start=25

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65239&p=686262#p686262

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=67578&p=710215#p710215

froggi
Piss Artist

Post by froggi » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Many thanks gents... I knew someone was out there.... It's the first time I've used a recipe from 'the book' and didn't want to go ahead and screw up the hopping.... The beer in question is an old favourite of mine (although a mass produced, shadow of it's former self these days) and I wanted to do it justice..... Thanks all once again, you've been a great help

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:36 pm

My edition of the book has a table in the hops chapter giving the AA% of every hop as used to formulate the recipes. If your hops have higher AA% then you will calculate a high bitterness. Some varieties vary a lot between harvests.