Nuts! 80 IBU by accident

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
GarethHW

Nuts! 80 IBU by accident

Post by GarethHW » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:54 am

So I made a beer and cos I was nattering, hadn't realised that my grainfather was still boiling for four minutes after what should have been flameout...

A quick re-calculation gives me 83 IBU in what should have been a 43 IBU beer (OG of 1054)

A quick taste from the fv at dry hopping (another 100g of hops in 15L!) was toe curlingly bitter. That said I often find the fv sample to be more bitter than the final thing, so redemption possible maybe?

Anyone made a beer this bitter (compared to OG), and any one have any ideas for rescuing if it is?

I figured half a teaspoon of sucralose at drinking! Desperate measures. I've never had to chuck a batch away before now and I'm loathed to do it here!

jaroporter
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Nuts! 80 IBU by accident

Post by jaroporter » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:54 am

yup all the time make beer like this, but i like that.. presumably you had a lot of late hops, 'cause 4 minutes isn't really that long. i'd guess that it'll smooth out over conditioning time, even if you have to leave it slightly longer than you would normally. is the FG quite low as well?
dazzled, doused in gin..

Haydnexport
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:12 pm

i did a stout last year that was similar , only drinkable now !

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:17 pm

jaroporter wrote:yup all the time make beer like this, but i like that.. presumably you had a lot of late hops, 'cause 4 minutes isn't really that long. i'd guess that it'll smooth out over conditioning time, even if you have to leave it slightly longer than you would normally. is the FG quite low as well?
I'm ok with bitter but this was a bit beyond! Had about 100g in 15L, all high 10+ aa. Galaxy, simcoe and mosaic. Luckily the grainfather beeped to tell me it had hit boil temp or it could have been there for ages.

Haven't taken og yet, I'm predicting 1012, it's wyeast American ale ii.

I'll get it bottled next weekend and see what happens. It should mellow a bit but whether it'll work out is anyone's guess!

Haydnexport

Post by Haydnexport » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:25 pm

you could brew it again with no hops and blend them , ive done it with lager in the past , i did a lager , one of my first that called for hallertau hops , so i stuck in hallertau 'northen brewer' in instead of the 'hersbrucker' variety !

AFewTooMany

Post by AFewTooMany » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:36 pm

The iso-alpha acids from the hops which give it bitterness bind to yeast still in suspension. Try using a fining to drop out as much yeast as possible and it should reduce the bitterness. A long conditioning period will help also

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:50 pm

AFewTooMany wrote:The iso-alpha acids from the hops which give it bitterness bind to yeast still in suspension. Try using a fining to drop out as much yeast as possible and it should reduce the bitterness. A long conditioning period will help also
Good tips thanks. I've got some isinglass finings though I've never used them before. The beers been the fv a week, and I was going to give it another week. I'm away in between now and then so it's today or this Friday. Which would be better?

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:52 pm

GarethHW wrote:A quick taste from the fv at dry hopping (another 100g of hops in 15L!) was toe curlingly bitter. That said I often find the fv sample to be more bitter than the final thing, so redemption possible maybe?
Probably won't be that bad once conditioned and it has the flavour and aroma from the dryhopping to compliment the bitterness. Drink up and we'll see you on the other side of the Lupolin Threshold Shift. :beer:

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Haydnexport wrote:you could brew it again with no hops and blend them , ive done it with lager in the past , i did a lager , one of my first that called for hallertau hops , so i stuck in hallertau 'northen brewer' in instead of the 'hersbrucker' variety !
Nice idea thanks but not practical for this brew as I don't have the necessaries, or time.
Will try the finings. At worst I will have a very bitter but delightfully clear brew.

It'll be a shame if it's ruined as I was lookIng forward to this one, a rye beer with about 250g of yummy hops

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:07 pm

It's all Chris' fault haha

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Notlaw wrote:It's all Chris' fault haha
Hello mate
I'd love to blame him but as he's not here (or is he?) I don't think it would be right.
Was totally his fault though (not really chris if you're reading).
If it's vile I'll give it all to him!

Notlaw
Piss Artist

Post by Notlaw » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:23 pm

GarethHW wrote:
Hello mate
I'd love to blame him but as he's not here (or is he?) I don't think it would be right.
He must like it bitter and even happier than you, as he thought his chinook one was bland and lacking... Hardcore.!

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:17 pm

My last brew was a Double IPA based on Brewdogs Hardcore IPA. I was debating on a 60 or 90 min boil. I decided to do a 60 min and adjusted the boil length in Beersmith. However I didn't change the first hop addition and ended up boiling for 90min on brew day by mistake. My beer was 105 IBU !! 1 month on I wished I'd gone more bitter, I will with the next batch lol.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:33 pm

GarethHW wrote:
Hello mate
Gar,
If it`s vile, take it or send it to viewforum.php?f=78
Put my name on it and I will take any flack (and FREE Beer).
It`s only Beer! :D

WA

GarethHW

Post by GarethHW » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:40 am

WalesAles wrote:
GarethHW wrote:
Hello mate
Gar,
If it`s vile, take it or send it to viewforum.php?f=78
Put my name on it and I will take any flack (and FREE Beer).
It`s only Beer! :D

WA
'Gar'! Classic. That's what my dad still calls me and I'm 41! Must be a Welsh thing