Pudding Rice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
alexlark
Under the Table

Pudding Rice

Post by alexlark » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:35 pm

I brewed an all grain lager last week and used 250g of Pudding Rice in the mash. I've just realised that I should have used Flaked Pudding Rice as this does not require cooking beforehand. Would the pudding rice that I used had enough time to convert during the 90 minute mash?

My target OG was 1.044 and I hit 1.043

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Pudding Rice

Post by Eric » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Good question, I wouldn't know, but would would worry about what else flaked pudding rice might contain.

I use a Lidl rice breakfast cereal, 80p or thereabouts for 500g, in fact right now drinking a beer made with it. It has absolutely no redeeming qualities for anyone who enjoys the taste of good beer.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Matt in Birdham
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Matt in Birdham » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:02 am

I have no idea either but I have cooked pudding rice plenty of times and it is pretty tenacious stuff. I would be surprised if it had even dissolved significantly in 90 minutes at mash temps if you added it raw and whole (its certainly still fairly firm when cooked in the oven for an hour at higher temps, albeit in milk). I suppose the enzymes might have got to work on it..

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:12 am

When I was composting the grain the rice did appear to be pretty intact. I bet it hasn't had any impact on the beer. I almost hit my OG and the rest of the recipe was the same as what I brewed last year, which turned out great, so I'm not too bothered.

Eric, Lidl is my local. Do you know the name of that rice breakfast cereal?

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:34 am

I've used flaked rice in a recipe a few times (years ago though) - quite a few David Line recipes called for it.

My memory of those brews is hazy, but I certainly don't remember being wowed by them.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:42 am

alexlark wrote:When I was composting the grain the rice did appear to be pretty intact. I bet it hasn't had any impact on the beer. I almost hit my OG and the rest of the recipe was the same as what I brewed last year, which turned out great, so I'm not too bothered.

Eric, Lidl is my local. Do you know the name of that rice breakfast cereal?

Rice Snaps. Read the ingredient list on the side.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:35 pm

I use rice in many of the lagers that i make, but i cook it before going in the mash.
It then also has a stepped mash.
My guess is that the pudding rice didn't get a chance to add anything to the mash.
It probably didn't do any harm either, so no big loss.
Norm
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Thanks Eric.

Normski, 'Simply' Rice in Lidl is 40p per kg. I'll use that instead and cook it first.

Cheers all.

Bad 'Ed
Piss Artist

Post by Bad 'Ed » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:30 pm

Can the enzymes in the mash convert all the starches that will come out of pudding rice (or rice in general for that matter)? I imagine not that well, or why would we bother to malt grains before mashing them?

Secondly, where did you get the pudding rice from? I was trying to make a rice pudding the other day and had to use risotto rice instead (at quite a cost) as none of my local supermarkets seemed to have any.
Never enough time...

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:08 pm

From byo.com

"Rice has a high gelatinization temperature and must be boiled prior to use. Some brewers boil the rice under pressure to increase the temperature. Rice has the highest starch content of all the cereal adjuncts and may yield as much as 90 percent extract efficiency."

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:41 pm

Had it from Tesco. They sell it in 500g bags.

Capped
Under the Table

Post by Capped » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:02 pm

Just don't use rice pudding from a tin. Unless you're making milk stout.

WalesAles
Falling off the Barstool

Post by WalesAles » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:01 pm

Eric wrote:Good question, It has absolutely no redeeming qualities for anyone who enjoys the taste of good beer.
Don`t you just love JBK for these snippets of wisdom! :D
Capped wrote:Just don't use rice pudding from a tin. Unless you're making milk stout.
Capped,
Have you tried this?
If not, I know someone who will! :D #-o

WA

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:12 pm

WA, 90% of the fermentable rice pudding?? :lol:

Using long grain rice, I'm going to boil the rice the night before so that I can allow it to cool so that I can better control the mash temp (BIAB). I'll make sure it's nice and runny so it doesn't set. Anyone see a problem with this?

EDIT: Actually I just had another idea. Once the boiled rice is ready I will add cold water to bring it down to 66 before adding to the main mash. Job done :wink:

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:21 am

Went with the Lidl long grain rice after, 40p for 1kg. Cooked it on the hob for 30 minutes and added cold water to it to bring it down to 70c. I heated the mash water to 68c, normally I go for 71c/72c. Mashed in and then added the rice. I kept back some hot and cold water so that I could adjust but by this time I was 30mm from the top of the pot and the temp was 65.8c, don't you just feel smug when that happens!!

My volume into the FV was spot on but I was 5 gravity points over. Beersmith had underestimated the rice, I had selected flaked rice for the recipe. So what I did was copy the flaked rice ingredient and adjusted it to come near to what I had got with the Lidl rice, see if that works for the next batch.

For this batch I also used half of the yeast slurry from the previous brew, Saflager W34/70. 24 hrs in and nothing! But this morning (42hrs) active fermentation!! Will save yeast slurry more often.