First A.G Lager- water treatment help needed

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
bassman
Sober

First A.G Lager- water treatment help needed

Post by bassman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:43 am

With half a dozen successful A.G. ales done I'm now about to do my first lager. I have up to 7 Kg of lager malt and some Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops I'll be using White Labs WLP830 German Lager yeast. My water is hard and has a pH of 5.8. Should I add a quantity of distilled water to reduce the pH? if so how much?

shepp

Re: First A.G Lager- water treatment help needed

Post by shepp » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Do you know the mineral content of your water?

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:41 am

The pH of your water is irrelevant. You need to know its alkalinity. To test this get a Salifert kit. Only then can you work out how to treat it.

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:05 pm

I'm about to do my fist lager too, having done 40-50 ales. For 6 quid, I've bought three 6x2L mulitpacks of Tesco Ashbeck to avoid ending up with too minerally a profile by treating my own water. Just a bit of calcium chloride and gypsum (to get the calcium in the right area), and I should be there.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Honestly if you want to get into water treatment then you need a salifert alkalinity test kit and (ideally) a pH meter.

Without, you'll still make lager, so if you're not doing it for ales then maybe for the first lager you can omit it too.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:23 am

Jocky wrote:Honestly if you want to get into water treatment then you need a salifert alkalinity test kit and (ideally) a pH meter.

Without, you'll still make lager, so if you're not doing it for ales then maybe for the first lager you can omit it too.
Before that you need a water report from someone who knows what brewers are looking for. Ask wallybrew on here to do this for you. Anything else is blind archery.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

sram
Sober

Post by sram » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:53 pm

I'll second the, get a water report from wallybrew. I've just this week got a report from him.

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:54 am

When brewing you can hide in a stout and get away with some things but Lager is a highly strung sort of a lass :) . You need good water.
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:36 am

orlando wrote:Anything else is blind archery.
Isn't that a Paralympic sport?

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:33 pm

MTW wrote:I'm about to do my fist lager too, having done 40-50 ales. For 6 quid, I've bought three 6x2L mulitpacks of Tesco Ashbeck to avoid ending up with too minerally a profile by treating my own water. Just a bit of calcium chloride and gypsum (to get the calcium in the right area), and I should be there.
Although I normally treat my (high alkalinity) water for ales, I have used this method as a quick fix for lager. The bottles have all the relevant info printed on the label, I then used this info along with the relevant profile in GW water calculator on this site, for the extra additions. Worked great.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:16 pm

Sadfield wrote:
MTW wrote:I'm about to do my fist lager too, having done 40-50 ales. For 6 quid, I've bought three 6x2L mulitpacks of Tesco Ashbeck to avoid ending up with too minerally a profile by treating my own water. Just a bit of calcium chloride and gypsum (to get the calcium in the right area), and I should be there.
Although I normally treat my (high alkalinity) water for ales, I have used this method as a quick fix for lager. The bottles have all the relevant info printed on the label, I then used this info along with the relevant profile in GW water calculator on this site, for the extra additions. Worked great.

Yes, I've run the figures through that. The only thing missing on the bottles in alkalinity, which I've measured as 16ppm CACO3 in Ashbeck myself.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

john luc

Post by john luc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Just re read that op and I be surprised that your drinking water is 5.8 PH. :shock:
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:49 pm

MTW wrote:
Sadfield wrote:

Yes, I've run the figures through that. The only thing missing on the bottles in alkalinity, which I've measured as 16ppm CACO3 in Ashbeck myself.
I don't have one to hand, but doesn't the label give the bicarbonate value anyway?

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:32 am

rpt wrote:
orlando wrote:Anything else is blind archery.
Isn't that a Paralympic sport?
Not in the hands of a brewer. :)

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

orlando

Post by orlando » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:35 am

john luc wrote:Just re read that op and I be surprised that your drinking water is 5.8 PH. :shock:
Agreed, suppliers are obliged to keep it close to neutral. Irrelevant to a brewer anyway but another reason for having a proper analysis.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: