Small scale commercial.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Bazz
Piss Artist

Small scale commercial.

Post by Bazz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:13 am

Hi, i have a question with regards to selling my beer to the public at large and i know we have a few members on here who have done so. My brewing is going pretty well and i've consistently produced beers that people have said they would part money with to have (including a few who didn't know i was the brewer so it can't just be people being polite!). However i don't have the time or inclination to be a full time brewer, at least not yet anyway, and i'm also dipping my toe into the worlds of cheese and chocolate making, so i was thinking along the lines of a market stall at farmers markets etc.

So the question really is, is it worth the hassle of registering as a commercial brewer and jumping through all the hoops that HMRC require to go into production of this scale or are the overheads going to make it completely nonviable?

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, thanks.

Fastline
Hollow Legs

Re: Small scale commercial.

Post by Fastline » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Probably more hassle than its worth, have a read of the microbrewery handbook, good read goes into great detail of all the hoops you got to jumps through, if it don't put you off then go for it.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Small scale commercial brewing is fine, if you aren't expecting to make much money out of it. The risk is that you turn an enjoyable hobby into a very expensive one. Good luck with whatever you decide, though. Chocolate and/or cheese would be much more profitable, without so many hoops.

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:22 pm

If you plan on doing it from home it makes it more difficult, some councils will not look very favourably on it ! Also you then have the problem that you won't be able to brew for your own consumption either as it would be a registered premises so everything produced would be taxable !
Brewing on a such a small scale probably would never recouperate what you would spend out and certainly not cover time spent doing it

fego
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by fego » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:30 pm

I think you'd be able to designate areas of the premises as licensed meaning you can brew in another part of the house/garden/shed/wherever for yourself.

It's a big commitment to go commercial but most of the pain is a one off so if you have thought it through properly and see a future, it's probably worth it. Plenty have.
Tea is for mugs...

Padalac

Post by Padalac » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:32 pm

We've started a small commercial brewery, based out of a flat. It wasn't too difficult to set up, as far as I can tell, but we've only just started. I'll keep you posted if you're interested.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:02 pm

@Padalac, yes please, do keep me posted.

Thanks for all your replies, at the moment i'm very much i the early stages of planning, i can retire from my current job (firefighter) in 8 years with a pension, albeit a much reduced pension than if i stay on for another 18 years but i don't think i fancy doing the job as a 60 year old, so i'm really looking for something to generate an income to top up my pension, where i am my own boss and is mostly enjoyable.

We will hopefully being moving house some when this year and i fully intend to have fully equipped man cave for brewing/cheese making/chocolate making so hopefully i could register that as the licensed part of the house, as well as being suitable for food production and storage.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:45 pm

The bottom line: making great beer is surprisingly easy, anyone can do it. The challenge is delivering it consistently on time and selling it time after time. Much easier to be a hero putting out fires, TBH :wink:

spanspoon

Post by spanspoon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Peakstones brewery (Staffordshire based) are relatively small and have a micro pub near to where they brew. Last time I spoke with them they brewed on a Mon and tues then open up their micro pub thurs, Fri, sat and Sun. They only wanted a licence to sell til 10pm.
Seems a relaxed approach, they'll never be millionaires but they seem to tick over.

rpt
Hollow Legs

Post by rpt » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:44 am

With any business you'll spend most of your time marketing, selling, accounting, doing paperwork etc rather than the bit you enjoy.

alix101
Under the Table

Post by alix101 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:05 pm

With any business you'll spend most of your time marketing, selling, accounting, doing paperwork etc rather than the bit you enjoy
Have to agree with this statement having tried it myself.
But don't be put off if you want to do it the bottled craft beer market is huge.
Just do your homework and keep up to date with HMRC policy and rules on due diligence.
Getting a brewing licence is easy enough, but keeping to the terms of the licence is the same for you as huge breweries.
There's also a lot of legislation regarding the beers storage but like I said read up or speak with some brewries who've might help.
The selling of beer is more difficult depending on where you want to sell.
You will need a minimum personal alcohol licence to sell at markets providing the market has a venue licence if it doesn't it's not as easy.
Again the personal licence is easy to aquire a half day course and some pre reading.
The licence can be issued after you have your cetificate and a police check by the council within 24hrs.
Good luck PM me if you want any help.
The microbrewery handbook is a good read/ introduction you can download from amazon.
"Everybody should belive in something : and I belive I'll have another drink".

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:54 pm

Thank you all so much for your help, plenty to think about and loads of good advice. Like i said it's early days yet but the years seem to be going by quicker and quicker these days and i want to be prepared and have plans in place when it comes making a decision about what to do with my future.

joe-mc
Sober

Post by joe-mc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:15 am

Bazz,
Snap. I'm in exactly the same boat.
20 odd years in the fire service, pension up the spout etc., really tempted to give commercial brewing a try.
I don't think it's a case of if but when for me.
Am following this with interest.
Cheers and good luck.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:58 pm

I hear you Joe, unless there is a somewhat seismic shift in how FRS in the Uk are run i intend to get out before my pension gets eroded any further, i'd leave now but the thought of not seeing 20 years worth of contributions again until i was 67 is just about enough to keep me hanging in.

Which brigade are you in?

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Why don't you two pool your resources and open a brewpub? 'The Fire House' :wink: