Chocolate flavour

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Aaron

Chocolate flavour

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Evening,

I'm planning on brewing a chocolate + vanilla stout. Just thought i'd see if I can tap into peoples experiences on the best way to impart a nice, rich, chocolate flavour. From some of the posts on here it seems cocoa nibs are a bit lame. What about adding powder? My intuition says it would be best to add post fermentation but i'm open to suggestions? Also what quantities?

Cheers

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Re: Chocolate flavour

Post by Coffeeuk » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:33 pm

I've successfully used chocolate extract. You get it in liquid form just like vanilla extract.

injac
Hollow Legs

Post by injac » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:55 pm

I've used cocoa powder in the mash...you get the chocolate flavour though the fats in the powder kill any head. Also no krausen during ferment!
In the FV:
NEIPA with Apollo/Vic Secret/Citra

Kyle_T
Mild King

Post by Kyle_T » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Cocoa nibs I have used for an easy and satisfying effect. 125g for a 23L brew, crushed or uncruahed it doesn't matter.
My Ridleys' Brewery Blog:
http://www.theessexbrewer.wordpress.com

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:14 pm

FWIW I tried a brew with lots of cacao nibs added to the boil at 20mins before the end. They were quite strongly flavoured before and near tasteless afterwards so the flavour was definitely extracted... but could barely be tasted in the finished beer. Maybe 20mins was too long. Other methods are to add them to the fermenter and/or infuse in a little vodka.
Kev

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:42 pm

Coffeeuk wrote:I've successfully used chocolate extract. You get it in liquid form just like vanilla extract.
I like the sound of this. Does the extract kill head retention?

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:43 pm

Kyle_T wrote:Cocoa nibs I have used for an easy and satisfying effect. 125g for a 23L brew, crushed or uncruahed it doesn't matter.
Kyle - did you add the nibs post-ferment or during boil?

Coffeeuk
Piss Artist

Post by Coffeeuk » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:43 pm

No not at all

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:46 pm

Great. Thanks for the tips.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:15 pm

I soaked a pack of cocoa nibs on vodka for 3 days. Couldn't taste it in the final beer though. Wondering if I need to roast them first instead.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

donchiquon
Hollow Legs

Post by donchiquon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:03 pm

I've been looking at a recipe for a coffee and chocolate stout that adds the nibs (90g for 23L) to the fermenter as you would do with dry hopping. No mention of sanitisation.

How does this sound?
Ian

Bunglebrewsbeer
Hollow Legs

Post by Bunglebrewsbeer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:27 am

I did a chocolate stout recently I soaked mine for about 10 days in dark rum then lobbed them in. Could taste the chocolate from them but not massively. Was just a subtle taste towards the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuffty22

Post by tuffty22 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:01 pm

The Rouge Chocolate Stout uses chocolate extract I'm sure and that's pretty tasty.

Andy__

Post by Andy__ » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:01 pm

+1 chocolate extract

mshergold

Post by mshergold » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:17 pm

I've used cocoa powder for a chocolate porter before as well as chocolate malt. For 25 litres I used 250g chocolate malt and 200g cocoa powder.

Without access to my notes, I seem to remember that I looked at Bournville and Morrison's own brand organic cocoa powder and opted for Bournville as the ingredients stated only cocoa powder. I've brewed it several times and as far as I can remember experienced no problems with head-retention or with a krausen forming. I'm sure I added it to the boil when Graham Wheeler recommends you add sugars and other ingredients.