Lupulin Powder

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
McMullan

Re: Lupulin Powder

Post by McMullan » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:03 pm

Did I overlook some meaningful data? All I see is unsubstantiated statements some want to believe without much thought. How dim =D>

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:19 pm

Come on you two. That's enough now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trefoyl
Even further under the Table

Post by Trefoyl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 pm

McMullan wrote:But Fuller's unfiltered London Pride doesn't look like 'pea soup', does it?
Neither should NEIPA, only a little cloudy from the dry hopping.
Sommeliers recommend that you swirl a glass of wine and inhale its bouquet before throwing it in the face of your enemy.

Mowzer

Post by Mowzer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:34 am

[quote="Trefoyl"][quote="McMullan"]But Fuller's unfiltered London Pride doesn't look like 'pea soup', does it? [/quote]
Neither should NEIPA, only a little cloudy from the dry hopping.[/quote]

Totally wrong.

NEIPA is not "Hop Soup', to call it such is complete Boll*cks and shows a deep misunderstanding. There is a high proportion of (un)malted oat in the grist. This is the haze (murky) forming component. It's present in the grist to create a smooth, some say, slick, mouthfeel. It could be brewed without the oats, and it would only be slightly hazy, but then it wouldn't be a NEIPA.

So please wind your neck in and check your facts :)

legion
Hollow Legs

Post by legion » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:43 am

The haze seems to come from the dry hop during active fermentation. As this exbeeriment showed that a no oats beer remained hazy
http://brulosophy.com/2016/11/21/the-im ... t-results/
Maidstone Brewers Homebrew Meets - Next Meet 14:00 Wednesday 27 December
https://Twitter.com/maidstonebrews https://www.facebook.com/groups/maidstonebrewers

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 am

Mowzer wrote:
NEIPA is not "Hop Soup'
?

Not according to Google. If they aren’t ‘cloudy hop soups’, what are they? Some of them are a lot worse than I imagined. Hop purees :shock: =D>

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 am

This stuff has some interesting possibilities. Whether those are actually realised in practice, or whether it can be offered to homebrewers at a competitive price and range, remain to be seen IMO. It may include a lot of marketing BS or turn out to have disadvantages which are undiscovered or being played down. But certainly worth keeping an eye on.

It has the potential to split our (sometimes limited) access to hops into yet another form to contend with, or cause whole or pellet hops to become scarcer. So if it takes off I hope it is on genuine merit - not for example through being the latest fad or having convenience over quality.

Entangling discussion of its usefulness with with one style of beer (which some like and others don't) seems both needless and pointless though. It will have to work for many/most styles if it is to go anywhere.
Kev

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:06 am

There was interest in isolating lupulin glands for brewing back in the 1960s. It didn't seem to develop beyond a patent. I wonder why? My guess is isolation of lupulin from hops is too inefficient for brewing requirements. I can't see how the process could be 100%, which would probably mean more hops being used. An expensive niche product for hopheads discontent with their hop smoothies?

'Smoothie': a thick, smooth drink of fresh hops pureed with dysfunctional yeast and lots of raw oats. Ready in a week ('Turbo Craft') :mrgreen:

Sadfield
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:54 am

McMullan wrote:There was interest in isolating lupulin glands for brewing back in the 1960s. It didn't seem to develop beyond a patent. I wonder why?
Technology and it's availability has moved on in 50 years.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:26 am

Sadfield wrote:Technology and it's availability has moved on in 50 years.
Pulverising plant material under liquid N2 was common practice long before the 1960s. Where's the data for LupuLN2? Or doesn't that bother you?

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 am

No. I'll buy it and try it. If I don't like it I'll stick with stockpile of hops I have. Whatever they price it at, it isn't going to break the bank. Being creative and experimenting is what makes brewing fun, it's a hobbie.

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 am

My LHBS sells it by the kilo, Citra, Mosaic and Simcoe. About £120/kg at the moment. I doubt it's going to make much difference to my 'boring' beers. I could get a lot of whole hops for £120 :D

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am

Cool where's that? could easily buy, split and sell on. £12 for 100g is equivalent to 200g of pellet usage so not prohibitively expensive.

killer

Post by killer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:38 pm

McMullan wrote:There was interest in isolating lupulin glands for brewing back in the 1960s. It didn't seem to develop beyond a patent. I wonder why? My guess is isolation of lupulin from hops is too inefficient for brewing requirements. I can't see how the process could be 100%, which would probably mean more hops being used. An expensive niche product for hopheads discontent with their hop smoothies?

'Smoothie': a thick, smooth drink of fresh hops pureed with dysfunctional yeast and lots of raw oats. Ready in a week ('Turbo Craft') :mrgreen:
Not sure if you were joking but this has been around for a while too...

https://www.ratebeer.com/search

Sadfield

Post by Sadfield » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Not as good as google though.