Fruit from amelanchier trees + calamondin

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chris2012
Under the Table

Fruit from amelanchier trees + calamondin

Post by chris2012 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 pm

Two slightly random questions:

I'm just wondering, I recently found out that apparently the berries on an amelanchier are supposed to be edible, which I never knew before.

So a few questions, does anyone know if the berries on all amelanchier are edible?

Wiki says "The fruit of several species are excellent to eat raw, tasting somewhat like a blueberry, strongly accented by the almond-like flavour of the seeds.". I was kind of wondering if I could throw some in a beer next year, alas the birds have stripped them all off this year, before I found out that I could possibly eat them heh.

Also I've got a Calamondin tree in my room which produces little sourish fruit. It should produce around 35 this year.

I was looking at doing something like https://kissmyglutenfreebuns.com/2014/0 ... n-liqueur/ but I'm just wondering if possibly they could be used in a beer, but maybe not due to the sourness?

guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Re: Fruit from amelanchier trees + calamondin

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Umm, no idea about these fruits but, if I may respectfully suggest this, wouldn't it be better to sort out your basic brewing process first so you get clear beer?

Guy

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:02 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:08 pm
Umm, no idea about these fruits but, if I may respectfully suggest this, wouldn't it be better to sort out your basic brewing process first so you get clear beer?

Guy
Well, he's got until next summer to sort that out. :)

EDIT: Not the house plant ones, though.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

ayepee
Tippler

Post by ayepee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:25 am

Just found this at - http://rawedibleplants.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... ecies.html

"Raw edible parts

All species from the Amelanchier genus have edible fruit but some taste nicer than others. It is important to ensure the fruit is dark and ripe before eating to get the best of the flavour. The berries can be eaten fresh, cooked or dried and used like raisins. We haven't tried drying them yet due to the fact that the birds always get most of the fruit before us."

Regards

charlie
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by charlie » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:07 pm

I tasted my Amelanchier fruit this year and it was pretty tasty but you have got to be quick because the birds love it.

While you're at it Mahonia berries are ripe at the moment.

I'll taste one tonight but Ken Fern and Richard Mabey both say that you can eat them.
I keep meaning to gather Sumac but don't want to upset the neighbours as it's their tree.
Brewing in the badlands between Arnside and Milnthorpe.
Cumbria

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:20 am

You can make dipping sauces with you calamondin (calamansi / kalamunding) fruit juice, mix some with fish sauce and a little chilli or fish sauce and soy sauce. Goes with pretty much any grilled meat or fish, spring rolls and so on. If you have enough of them, they make decent marmalade!

chris2012
Under the Table

Post by chris2012 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:22 pm

Cheers guys

I'll have a look into the dipping sauce thing, as that sounds cool.

I'm not sure if I'd have enough to make much marmalade ,will probably end up with around 35, but they are pretty tiny.

Also that's cool to hear the amelancier are tasty, will be interested in trying them next year.