Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
chefgage
Hollow Legs
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by chefgage » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:52 am

Fuggled Mind wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 am
cerbera84 wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:41 pm
I'm up for this - should we try and set a date?
How about the 30th September? Is that too early for everyone? that's shown an interest so far?
That date would be ok with me. Have we a recipe sorted yet?

User avatar
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by Fuggled Mind » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 am

I'm up for Gales Festival Mild or Old Peculiar.

Gales Festival Mild
1.054
1.012
24IBU
85% pale malt
5.5% black malt
3% crystal
1.5% torrified wheat
5% white sugar (I'd use a homemade invert no 3)
Bittered with Fuggles
Fuggles for aroma

Old Peculiar (this is taken from an older edition of GW's BYOBRAH as it matches Roger Protz's description in 300 beers to try before you die).
1.058
1.011
Pale malt
crystal
black malt
flaked maize
white sugar (again I'd substitute invert no 3 or dark sugars of some description e.g. cane sugar and molassas)
bittered with fuggles and challenger
Goldings for aroma
29 IBU

What do you think?
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

chefgage
Hollow Legs
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by chefgage » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:12 am

Fuggled Mind wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:30 am
I'm up for Gales Festival Mild or Old Peculiar.

Gales Festival Mild
1.054
1.012
24IBU
85% pale malt
5.5% black malt
3% crystal
1.5% torrified wheat
5% white sugar (I'd use a homemade invert no 3)
Bittered with Fuggles
Fuggles for aroma

Old Peculiar (this is taken from an older edition of GW's BYOBRAH as it matches Roger Protz's description in 300 beers to try before you die).
1.058
1.011
Pale malt
crystal
black malt
flaked maize
white sugar (again I'd substitute invert no 3 or dark sugars of some description e.g. cane sugar and molassas)
bittered with fuggles and challenger
Goldings for aroma
29 IBU

What do you think?
Both sound good :)

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 am

I think either of the two beers suggested look fine. The date is not good for me, but I'll fit in around that time somehow.

jinjahbiscuit
Steady Drinker
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:00 pm

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by jinjahbiscuit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 pm

I attempted to make some invert sugar today. It's quite dark, no idea about any "standard" colour grades, but darker than tate and Lyles golden syrup, and quite lighter than their black treacle. I've probably got about a pound and a bit (600g or so). Roughly. I used my wife's portable Tefal indution hob to do the job, a bit of jiggling between various settings to try to keep the temperatures in check (no idea what the limits are), but managed between 106 and a bit, to around 111 and a bit celsius.
So if we decide to make a Pale Ale for Christmas, I'll be well pissed off coz that took me about three hours!
Joking of course, still happy to go along with the concensus. AAAAArrrrrgh :-)

cerbera84
Piss Artist
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Wolverhampton

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by cerbera84 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 pm

I had my first Old Peculiar yesterday, and made a beef casserole with the other bottle - very nice; not my usual style
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

User avatar
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:11 pm

jinjahbiscuit wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 pm
I attempted to make some invert sugar today. It's quite dark, no idea about any "standard" colour grades, but darker than tate and Lyles golden syrup, and quite lighter than their black treacle. I've probably got about a pound and a bit (600g or so). Roughly. I used my wife's portable Tefal indution hob to do the job, a bit of jiggling between various settings to try to keep the temperatures in check (no idea what the limits are), but managed between 106 and a bit, to around 111 and a bit celsius.
So if we decide to make a Pale Ale for Christmas, I'll be well pissed off coz that took me about three hours!
Joking of course, still happy to go along with the concensus. AAAAArrrrrgh :-)
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

User avatar
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:27 pm

jinjahbiscuit wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 pm
I attempted to make some invert sugar today. It's quite dark, no idea about any "standard" colour grades, but darker than tate and Lyles golden syrup, and quite lighter than their black treacle. I've probably got about a pound and a bit (600g or so). Roughly. I used my wife's portable Tefal indution hob to do the job, a bit of jiggling between various settings to try to keep the temperatures in check (no idea what the limits are), but managed between 106 and a bit, to around 111 and a bit celsius.
I also made my invert on an induction hob. While it's not my favourite cooking medium, it's the easiest for making invert as it maintains a fairly constant temperature.
jinjahbiscuit wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:41 pm
So if we decide to make a Pale Ale for Christmas, I'll be well pissed off coz that took me about three hours!
Joking of course, still happy to go along with the concensus. AAAAArrrrrgh :-)
I have 2 batches of homemade invert. One I call invert no 1.5 (it was an early attempt and I didn't pay as much attention to the time as I should have done. It's definitely too dark for Invert no 1 and it's way too light for invert no 2. The other is my attempt at invert no 3. It looks good but I have no real idea if it's anything like the real thing. I make mine using cream of tartar rather than citric acid as I read that it creates a more honey like flavour. I don't know how true that is though.

Good man on making the invert though - it get's a lot easier with practice.
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

User avatar
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:33 pm

cerbera84 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 pm
I had my first Old Peculiar yesterday, and made a beef casserole with the other bottle - very nice; not my usual style
I love cooking beef with beer. I've discovered that strong malty beers work best and even better is a 50/50 mix of beer and beef stock. Never cooked with Old Peculiar but it sounds great. I'm sure it would work really well with lamb too.

Another great recipe for dark malty beers is this. I've only made it with porter and stout but I'm sure Old Peculiar would work well too. I'm going to have to find myself a bottle to try it out.

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/occ ... -beer-cake
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

cerbera84
Piss Artist
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu May 01, 2014 8:06 pm
Location: Wolverhampton

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by cerbera84 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 pm

is there still any interest in this brewalong?
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

User avatar
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by Fuggled Mind » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:47 pm

cerbera84 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:28 pm
is there still any interest in this brewalong?
I know what you mean. It seems to have died a death :shock:

I should go back through the thread and check and see who is interested

So far we have
Fuggled Mind
Jinjahbiscuit
Cerbera84
GuyPettigrew (are you in?)
Supergreenmini
Hairy Biker
Hogarth
chefgage

Is the list above correct? Any more interested?

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

JonoT
Piss Artist
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by JonoT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:06 pm

If I can I'll join in the party.... Though I might have to brew the following Monday, if that counts! Saturday are not good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


User avatar
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Zurich, Switzerland

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by Fuggled Mind » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:25 pm

If it getd more of us brewing, we can change the date. Jinjahbiscuit has the same problem
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

JonoT
Piss Artist
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:03 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by JonoT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 pm

I rarely can brew on Saturday. Monday is normally my day off so I brew on a Monday. So don't change the date for me!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


User avatar
Jim
Site Admin
Posts: 10011
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:00 pm
Location: Washington, UK

Re: Anyone interested in a winter warmer

Post by Jim » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:20 am

Why not do a poll to for a few dates and see how many vote?

Post the recipe on the poll thread so people can see what they're voting to make. :)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away" - Philip K. Dick

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Post Reply