Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
MrN
Steady Drinker

Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience doing this? I want to contact a brewery about one of their beers to try and get some info about what goes into it. What do you think would be a good approach? Should I just email the brewery's public facing email address?

I realise it could be a long shot and they might not want to tell me anything or just have better things to be doing but I thought it was worth a shot!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Contacting brewery for info on their beer

Post by MTW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:23 pm

Well they can only say 'no'! No harm asking, though I'd try to catch them informally somewhere if you can; many are very happy to share knowledge and appreciate the interest. Follow them on social media, see where they'll be - perhaps they do a meet the brewer event occasionally (very common now) or turn up to festivals, tap takeovers etc. Other than that, if it's a specific brewery and beer, you may want to say on here, as someone may already know.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

gs650gtd
Sober

Post by gs650gtd » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:40 pm

I've contacted Marston breweries about their Shipyard Rye pale ale and was given the ingredients,hops though no amount and their yeast is a secret.
I found them really helpful and as MATE has said they can only say no.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:02 pm

It's Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby I'm interested in, a bit of a fan favourite, I understand. I tried some for the first time and it was excellent. My dad also liked it a lot and I thought it'd be nice to brew a batch for Christmas.

I have GW's book with the recipe but was interested to know if it's accurate or still up to date. I'm particularly interested to hear what variety/brand of crystal they use as it's quite a dark beer (or maybe they darken with caramel? ). See, so many questions!

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Go for it, when trying to track down a specific yeast strain i went on an email journey via a number of helpful and friendly breweries ;)

ps check out worsecter hop shop ag kits for sarah huges brews.. i suspect they simplify the recipes a little but i thoroughly enjoyed the dark mild i brewed..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

scuppeteer
Under the Table
Location: Brenchley, Kent (Birthplace of Fuggles... or is it?)

Post by scuppeteer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Personally I have no problem giving out this information, and if ever asked, I take as a great compliment that someone would want to try and reproduce one of my beers.
Some breweries are funny about it though, why I don't know. You can give the whole recipe and you may get close to the original but it will always be a bit different.
So yes, certainly ask, very politely. ;)
Dave Berry

Can't be arsed to keep changing this bit, so, drinking some beer and wanting to brew many more!

Sir, you are drunk! Yes madam, and you are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober! - WSC

McMullan

Post by McMullan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Given the growth in new breweries (potential competition) attitudes have changed, understandably. No harm in asking, though. What's the worst thing that could happen? In order of severity: They ignore you. They tell you to Foff. They improvise a recipe.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Scups makes an interesting point. There is virtually no chance of getting an exact, can't tell the difference side by side comparison beer from even exact recipe ingredients. There are just too many variables in play. Yeast being the biggest, if they use their own you are stuffed. Then there is the sheer scale that commercial breweries brew at, that makes a big diference. Then there is the type of vessels used, mashing schedules, bittering schedules, uses of underbacks or under letting and so on and so on. Amazes me that more breweries don't do what Brew Dog do and release them all to home brewers. They knew there is nothing to fear.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Indeed, I've noticed quite a few breweries are happy to share details. Fullers, for example, appear to be very open, which is what got me thinking about asking. They must realise it's no threat to their business.

I'd never expect to create a 100% exact copy but nevertheless am always very interested in some of the specifics when it comes to ingredients. For yeast I'd probably just end up using something like the Whitbread strain.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:23 pm

If I were you I would brew Graham's recipe and compare them side by side. My experience of his clones is that they are pretty damn close.
As for asking them it looks like they would not tell Roger Protz (Real Ale Almanac) the percentages so I think your chances are zero.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:26 pm

How do you know he wasn't able to get the percentages?

Not too fused about precise quantities to be honest, I'd just be interested in any extra info they'd be willing to share.

cerbera84
Piss Artist

Post by cerbera84 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:25 pm

MrN wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:02 pm
It's Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby I'm interested in, a bit of a fan favourite, I understand.
Next time I'm in the Beacon in Sedgeley, I'll ask around for the recipe
Planning: BrewEasy system build; possibly a Wychwood Hobgoblin Gold clone
Fermenting: Simcoe SMASH
Drinking: Cascade Centennial Pale

MrN
Steady Drinker

Post by MrN » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:53 pm

cerbera84 wrote:
MrN wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:02 pm
It's Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby I'm interested in, a bit of a fan favourite, I understand.
Next time I'm in the Beacon in Sedgeley, I'll ask around for the recipe
That'd be excellent if you could! Think I'll try pinging them an email anyway.

AlanManley
Tippler

Post by AlanManley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:57 pm

I asked Kyle (head brewer at Siren Craft) about his $10 Shake recipe and ibu targets rtf via their main info email. He picked it up and replied to me from his account directly.

He also offered me to poo down with a sterilized container to grab some of their house strain yeast.

Was a cracking brew!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Ii
Busy in the Summer House Brewery