Air getting into transfer tubing

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
DaveGillespie

Air getting into transfer tubing

Post by DaveGillespie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:04 am

I've recently repurposed my old 33 litre stainless boiler as a fermenter. No elements in there, just a stockpot with a 1/2" two piece ball valve on.

The two brews I've transferred from the tap haven't filled the transfer tubing with beer so I suspect air is getting in. I've tried this with the following setups with the same results.

1/2" barb -> 12mm ID silicon -> 1/2" JG barb attached to black Corny disconnect, hose clips at either end
6mm barb -> 3/8" beer line -> 3/8" JG pushfit on black Corny disconnect, hose clip on barb

Same results both ways. Where am I going wrong?

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Air getting into transfer tubing

Post by MTW » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:34 am

Are you opening the valve fully straight away? I made the mistake of trying to do it progressively the first time from my plastic 1/2" tap and silicone hose, before realising I needed to let it go with max force, all in one. Then it just blows all the air through in one go and the rest of the transfer is fine.

If not that, the can you increase the height/ length of tube to get more head pressure? Maybe too much resistance through the disconnect without that at the moment...
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:53 am

Yes I did open it full up straight away. Wouldn't I need to shorten the tube though, not lengthen it? Less resistance that way.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:43 pm

the 'air' is probably co2 that was held in suspension in the liquid left over from the yeast activity, 'shaken' out of suspension by the transfer and the turbulence of the transfer.
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:01 pm

That had occurred to me but I'm still somewhat concerned.

I'll test with water, that would show up whether it's CO2 coming out of solution or not.

Fil
Telling imaginary friend stories

Post by Fil » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:19 pm

If your using SS fittings its a good idea to use ptfe tape as unlike softer metals you cant apply a bit more torque /oomph to the final tightening unless yr Very strong..
ist update for months n months..
Fermnting: not a lot..
Conditioning: nowt
Maturing: Challenger smash, and a kit lager
Drinking: dry one minikeg left in the store
Coming Soon Lots planned for the near future nowt for the immediate :(

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:24 pm

Using PFTE on the nipple to ball valve and ball valve to barb joints as well.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:33 pm

DaveGillespie wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:04 am
I've recently repurposed my old 33 litre stainless boiler as a fermenter. No elements in there, just a stockpot with a 1/2" two piece ball valve on.

The two brews I've transferred from the tap haven't filled the transfer tubing with beer so I suspect air is getting in. I've tried this with the following setups with the same results.

1/2" barb -> 12mm ID silicon -> 1/2" JG barb attached to black Corny disconnect, hose clips at either end
6mm barb -> 3/8" beer line -> 3/8" JG pushfit on black Corny disconnect, hose clip on barb

Same results both ways. Where am I going wrong?

Why the cornie beer out connects? I doubt that you will ever get non pressurised beer to flow through them.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

DaveGillespie

Post by DaveGillespie » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Well, I'm racking to a corny. Kegging down the liquid out seems fairly common.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 am

DaveGillespie wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:16 pm
I use cornies and fill them via a length of silicone hose from the tap that reaches to the bottom with the lid removed and that works fine. Never heard of anyone filling via the out post unless it's a pressure transfer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:11 am

IPA wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:28 am
DaveGillespie wrote:
I use cornies and fill them via a length of silicone hose from the tap that reaches to the bottom with the lid removed and that works fine. Never heard of anyone filling via the out post unless it's a pressure transfer.
I also just use a hose from the FV into the corny. Much easier to use and clean afterwards and you can raise the tube as the corny fills to maintain a good flow.

I wonder if rather than air leaking in you have an airlock caused by the restriction when using the corny disconnect.

demig
Hollow Legs

Post by demig » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:21 am

IPA wrote:
DaveGillespie wrote:

I’ve started filling fv to corny through the beer post and it works well. Fill the keg with starsan first and push out with co2 and then fill. The flow is regulated by pulling the prv and it minimises air ingress. Have used the hose to corny method in the past as well and also works well but for longer storage beers the closed transfer method seems to be good.