reusing yeast- help needed

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
rui
Piss Artist

reusing yeast- help needed

Post by rui » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi folks.
Next weekend i m thinking to brew a batch, and I would like to re-use some yeast that have in fermentor with a beer that will be kegged next saturday. This beer will sitting on that yeast cake for 18 days, will be a problem re-using it????

cheers
Planning: Raspberry Witbier, , Bitter, Porter
FV1: BIAB#54 CHRISTMAS Porter
FV2:
FV3:
keg1: BIAB#49 Kölsh
keg2: Robust Porter
Keg3: Saison
Keg4: Best Bitter
bottled and conditioning: Extra-stout, Blonde ale, APA and Smoked Porter

Raize
Steady Drinker

Re: reusing yeast- help needed

Post by Raize » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:29 pm

If the beer's OK, the yeast's OK.

I've left beer in a fermenter for so long there was blue mold growing around the rim. The beer was fine and the yeast was fine. In my experience, beer is a lot more resistant to infection than people will have you believe. And yeast is more resilient too.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: reusing yeast- help needed

Post by Kev888 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm

18 days is fine; yeast are usually pretty happy in the beer they fermented, in normal situations. If it is a very high gravity beer or if there were problems with the fermentation which could indicate the yeast were stressed or unhealthy then it may be less desirable to re-use them, but otherwise it should be fine.

It is true that beer is somewhat resistant to infections gaining ground. Though of course when re-using yeast they and any unwanted cargo are being transferred to sugary wort instead, so I wouldn't personally re-use yeast from any batch which I actually thought may have been significantly infected.
Kev