Brew number 31 but 1st one to be thrown

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
lee1
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Brew number 31 but 1st one to be thrown

Post by lee1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:35 pm

hi all Floyd got this 1 spot on boiling water steam no need for sanitisers don't think i have had a brew go bad while ive used this method =D> :D
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:19 am

Cheers Lee. I'm going overboard with steriliser, sanitiser and steam on everything (even bottles which have been sanitised and sealed empty ready for filling) for at least the next few brews until I'm confident this is a one-off.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm

Just had another look at this and if anything it's worse so down the drain it goes - bugger :x

lee1

Post by lee1 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:37 pm

[-o< may the brew gods be with you all the best lee :wink:
soon be dead thank beer for that no pain where im going :-)

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Cheers Mate!

charliemartin

Post by charliemartin » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:08 am

Bit late maybe, but just read this thread. I had a similar problem a while back. Changed to dried yeast and the problem disappeared. I suspect my sanitising of my yeast prep gear wasn't up to scratch. You need to be seriously careful with sanitising flasks etc when making yeast starters. I used mainly starsan, but it appears that wasn't good enough. I still use it for sanitising FVs and bottles with no issues so far though.
If I suspect anything has a contamination I usually dig out the thin bleach and blitz it with a bleach solution for half an hour or more.

Cheers,
Charliemartin

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Altonrea Homebrew

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:46 am

Meatymc wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:53 pm
Just had another look at this and if anything it's worse so down the drain it goes - bugger :x
Best plan, I think. I wouldn't want an infected batch hanging around my equipment for any longer than necessary, just in the blind hope that it may magically clear up. If beer has become a background flavour, as you put it, then it's got to go, and save the liver units for something else!

Onwards and upwards! :)
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:04 pm

Just to say I'm now on my 4th subsequent brew and all OK so far. One of these is a Porter (in secondary) which I've tweaked with 2KG of 'Wonky Berry Fruits' from Morrisons. What a bloody mess that was having thawed, heated at 70C for 15 minutes and then put into a grain bag before transferring to secondary. Over the top from what I've read others doing when adding fruit but all for the very reason I submitted this post in the 1st place. If anything is still not right, this brew will most certainly find me out.

Just as an add-on, I fell for the theory that frozen fruit is going to be sweeter given it's supposedly left on the bush until ripe and there is little or no lag-time from picking to freezing and therefore to the table. Well, having tasted the mush as it went in, I can only give a comparable of 'Sheila's' lemonade in The Detectorists - puckered up that much I thought I'd gone blind!! :shock: