Water profile for Bohemian Pilsner

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
spook100
Piss Artist

Water profile for Bohemian Pilsner

Post by spook100 » Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 am

I'm brewing a Bohemian pilsner this weekend. I have some Czech friends coming over to visit in a couple of months and want to get it just right so am going to have my first bash and water treatment. I have checked out the Tesco Ashbeck bottled water profile and it is pretty close to the Pilsen water profile in Beersmith

Ashbeck profile
Ca 10
Mg 2.5
Na 9
SO4 10
Cl 12
HCO3 25

Pilsen Profile
Ca 7
Mg 2
Na 2
SO4 5
Cl 9
HCO3 15

However, I have read in several different places that that you should shoot for at least 50ppm Calcium because it is necessary for health yeast growth. So my question is: do I need to treat the water further to up the Ca (do the Czech brewers treat their water?) and, if so, what do I add. Using the Beersmith water profile tool would suggest 3g of chalk (CaCO3) would result in the following profile:
Ca 62
Mg 2.5
Na 9
SO4 10
Cl 12
HCO3 103
Would this profile be suitable for a genuine Czech Pilsner?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

mabrungard
Piss Artist

Re: Water profile for Bohemian Pilsner

Post by mabrungard » Thu May 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeast most definitely don't require calcium in the water to ferment well. Malt supplies all the calcium the yeast need for their metabolism. However, there are reasons to add calcium salts to water. For ales, having more than 50 ppm calcium is helpful for getting the beer to clarify reasonably quickly. For lagers, the need for calcium is much lower.

I prefer to add calcium salts only to the mashing water such that the calcium content is brought above 40 ppm. That helps remove oxalate from the wort via precipitation. I then sparge the mash with unmineralized water to bring the overall concentrations down in the kettle.

You definitely don't want to use chalk...especially in a pils. You'll actually need some acid in the mash in order to bring the mash pH down to a desirable level (~5.4). I suggest small additions of calcium chloride and gypsum to the mash to bring the calcium content up around 40 ppm, then use the Ashbeck water without added salts for sparging.
Martin B
Indianapolis, Indiana

BJCP National Judge
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at: https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brun-Wat ... =bookmarks

spook100
Piss Artist

Post by spook100 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:11 pm

Thanks for the tips, Martin. Coincidentally, I came across one of your posts on another forum and had already decided to ditch the chalk in favour of gypsum and calcium chloride based on that. Just to clarify on your point about only treating the mash water - do you add enough just to bring the mash water up to 40ppm calcium or to bring the entire volume of collected wort up to 40ppm?
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:30 pm

I’ve wandered about brewing with such low-calcium liquor and how this would translate to the finished beer. I brewed a Kölsch with Ashbeck about three weeks ago and added salts to get around 95ppm calcium - I just wanted to use a lowish amount and see how the beer turned out before trying to brew with barely any minerals at all.

It’s been lagering for almost a week now, so in a month it will be bottled and ready to try. Will report back on how it worked out.

wellyftw
Tippler

Post by wellyftw » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:44 am

How did it turn out? :)

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:06 pm

I see this is an old thread, but for anyone interested, I used 100% Ashbeck for a Pilsner a while back and I got a very clean result (yeast was 34/70). It was 3.5% acid malt. 5ml AMS, 4g calcium chloride and 2g gypsum, but I was shooting for a mash pH of 5.2. All salts went in my whole starting volume of 35L for a 19L batch in the FV.

Interesting to hear Martin's comments.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm

JMHO...you cannot replicate a water profile, as a HB`er its impossible. Im Chef not a Chemist. Brew the beers that suit your tap water.
Why would you want to throw so many chemicals at your wort, that you dont really understand what they do?
I live in Solihull, West Mids our water is supplied by Severn Trent, it has a Ph of 8.4, which is ideal for Stouts/Porters, its just a shame that I prefer bitters/IPA`s, that I cannot brew with my water.
Now if I had to brew a IPA/bitter, I would have to throw/guess a bucket full of chemicals at my brew, without actually knowing what they do

gaunt_paul
Steady Drinker

Post by gaunt_paul » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:14 pm

johnnyboy1965 wrote:Why would you want to throw so many chemicals at your wort, that you dont really understand what they do?
IMO It's worth trying to suss out what these minerals do, as it has a big impact on the final product. If you can find a guide that speaks your language (this was the biggest obstacle for me, i'm no chemist either) it's not such a nightmare. If the rest of your process is good, water chemistry is well worth looking into

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:20 pm

wellyftw wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:44 am
How did it turn out? :)
If you mean my Kölsch, then it turned out great. Very happy with the results. It’s long gone now mind, especially with that hot summer we had.

shepp
Sober

Post by shepp » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 pm

[quote=johnnyboy1965 post_id=840023 time=1545155139 user_id=18009]
JMHO...you cannot replicate a water profile, as a HB`er its impossible. Im Chef not a Chemist. Brew the beers that suit your tap water.
Why would you want to throw so many chemicals at your wort, that you dont really understand what they do?
I live in Solihull, West Mids our water is supplied by Severn Trent, it has a Ph of 8.4, which is ideal for Stouts/Porters, its just a shame that I prefer bitters/IPA`s, that I cannot brew with my water.
Now if I had to brew a IPA/bitter, I would have to throw/guess a bucket full of chemicals at my brew, without actually knowing what they do
[/quote]

If people approached every obstactle in life with a similar outlook, we would all be living in caves, throwing rocks at animals.
Brewers all over the country learn about water and what is needed to make various styles of beer, that's why Fullers make everything from porters to golden ales and there water is hard like mine.
Chemicals make up everthing around us, including us, it's nothing to be scared of.

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:56 pm

johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 pm
I agree that you should just chuck anything into your beer without knowing what it will do, but I don't agree with the idea that you're adding a 'bucket of chemicals'.

As a Chef, do you not add sodium chloride to food?? Chloride/Sulphate balance adjustment is to beer what seasoning is to food. Also the range of acids you will unwittingly use for cooking processes or flavour reasons is surprising (lemon juice = citric acid, vinegar = acetic acid, the tang in yoghurt or cheese = lactic acid).

Additionally pH is not a determinant of the suitability of water for brewing. For that you need a proper water report, or at least to get an alkalinity test kit and know what your water alkalinity is. UK municipal drinking water is rarely unusable for brewing if time is taken to understand and treat it correctly, and can be turned to almost any style.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.