Selling Beer Brewed in UK Residence Locally

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
supertodda
Sober

Re: Selling Beer Brewed in UK Residence Locally

Post by supertodda » Thu May 31, 2018 1:49 pm

@Horatio Thanks for sharing!

rowettbrew
Tippler

Post by rowettbrew » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm

Happy to answer questions on this - I've been running a 240L nano brewery commercially for a couple of years. I've had a lot of fun doing it, won some local awards etc, run bars at community events and sold casks to local pubs, but I'm packing it in because the admin is too much for me and it doesn't actually make a profit! It's a lot of work!

simon12
Hollow Legs

Post by simon12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:26 pm

rowettbrew wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm
Happy to answer questions on this - I've been running a 240L nano brewery commercially for a couple of years. I've had a lot of fun doing it, won some local awards etc, run bars at community events and sold casks to local pubs, but I'm packing it in because the admin is too much for me and it doesn't actually make a profit! It's a lot of work!
Please let me know if your selling the equipment as since selling a 1BBL system 18 months ago I am now looking to start a brew pub.

supertodda
Sober

Post by supertodda » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 pm

rowettbrew wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm
Do you think you can run anything worthwhile on a smaller (smallest) scale, one where you don't quit your day job and don't give up your entire life? Or is the Admin overhead and HMRC tax too much to be worth it?

rowettbrew
Tippler

Post by rowettbrew » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:02 pm

supertodda wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Do you think you can run anything worthwhile on a smaller (smallest) scale, one where you don't quit your day job and don't give up your entire life? Or is the Admin overhead and HMRC tax too much to be worth it?
Depends how you define "worthwhile"!! Is it fun? Yes. Is it hard work? Yes, a lot of work (both physical and admin/sales) to do it well and consistently and always have beer available for the people who want to buy it. Will it make any money? Probably not, but you might break even, and you'll never run out of beer. I did it for fun, and had an absolute riot doing beer festivals and local bars and stuff, and I stopped doing it when it stopped being fun enough to justify the hard work and expense.