infection (lazy)

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

infection (lazy)

Post by tourer » Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Poured 2 seperate five gallon batches down the sink last week. the first one had a distinct smell of yeast infection (bit like some french beers). The first brew was mature and ready for drinking thats when the smell hit me, not pungent just not my type of beer. Emptied all the bottles cleaned scrubbed sterilised. I remembered that i had used yeast on the new brew from the previous infected brew as I'd run out of yeast. So i did'nt wait too long before deciding to dump the now fermenting second brew. I put this down to my skipping and stripping down the fermenters and give a proper clean and sterilise. I've promised myself not to miss this important part of brewing. I'm now buying beer from the shop and it's not as good as mine (mostly). I've now got Seymours citra on the go. When this happens we dont just lose perfectly good grain and hops but also £££ and the real crippler is time, one week fermenting, one in the secondary plus 4 weeks maturing in the bottle a total of 6 weeks.

stokie_spaceman
Steady Drinker

Re: infection (lazy)

Post by stokie_spaceman » Thu May 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Just had this recently. Some kind of mild infection. Not sure what. When you have a bad batch it screws up the schedule and you run out of beer. Like you say, shop beer is generally not great and soon adds up. I comiserate with you.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk