High temperature

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

High temperature

Post by tourer » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:15 pm

Greetings all.
Did a brew today left it chilling while i popped out, when i came back switched off the emersion chiller and tranfered to the fermenting bin. I forgot to check the temperature didn't realise until after i pitched the yeast. The water temperature was 27c a tad on the high side :) whats the chances of the yeast surviving - the fridge is on so it's chilling down. Oh and the yeast is bog standard youngs Ale yeast, it's all i'd got.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Re: High temperature

Post by chefgage » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:31 pm

When i used to use my immersion chiller i always seemed to struggle to get it below about 26'c. So at that point i would pitch the yeast. Never had any problems. But you have a fridge so you will get down to your desired temps soon enough so i wouldnt worry :)

sbond10
Even further under the Table
Location: Warrington England usually drunk or being mithered by my 2yr old or wife

Post by sbond10 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:25 am

Depending on the yeast but ive pitched as high as 30 -32 get it in fridge and down to 18 c. I found pitching higher decreased lag time.

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:39 am

I would think it will be OK. The instructions for rehydrating dried yeast usually specify water at 30-35C.
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:43 am

Yeast thrives at 30-35c, it just doesn't give us a nice profile in beer. Lag time is usually 12-24 hours so I'd say it's beneficial to pitch around 30c. Most ale yeasts can comfortably ferment at 27c anyway, granted with a lot of esters, so don't worry!

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:09 pm

Yes, the yeast themselves can take this sort of temperature, and may even prefer to be pitched at it. It is really just the brewer's preference to then ferment cooler (for most styles of ale and ale-yeast, anyway) in order to give results that better suit our taste buds.

As the wort was in the fridge, then hopefully it would have had time to cool before they started generating lots of additional heat. If so, the results may be quite normal. If not, it isn't impossible that the yeast could become over-heated if they were pitched warm and then the heat from fermentation also kicked in, during summer - but with a fridge and at home-brew scales I wouldn't expect it to go 'that' far, perhaps just be a bit more estery than normal.
Kev

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:57 pm

tourer wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:15 pm
Greetings all.
Did a brew today left it chilling while i popped out, when i came back switched off the emersion chiller and tranfered to the fermenting bin. I forgot to check the temperature didn't realise until after i pitched the yeast. The water temperature was 27c a tad on the high side :) whats the chances of the yeast surviving - the fridge is on so it's chilling down. Oh and the yeast is bog standard youngs Ale yeast, it's all i'd got.
Checked it this morning and it was as flat as a pancake, nothing happening. went up to the allotment opened the greenhouse door then went to the brew shop picked up some SO5 and SO4. when i got back there was 15mm krausen bubbling away. So it appears the yeast didn't mind or may even have prefered it?
Anyway thanks for the opinions and i might start using this method in future