CRS

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

CRS

Post by tourer » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Poured an out of date bottle of CRS down the sink yesterday, bad move it stained the sink i don't know if T-cut will move it. The moral of the story pour salts etc down the drain not the sink. Oh yes and admit to nothing. :lol:

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: CRS

Post by FUBAR » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:37 am

No you will not remove the etching from the acid .Deny everything is your only hope to escape with minimal grief,but be prepared to shell out for the fancy new sink that SWMBO takes a liking to that will probably escalate into a complete new kitchen ](*,)
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am

If it is a stainless sink, there is some possibility that the etching looks worse because it is also cleaner than the surrounding metal. If so, then the contrast could be reduced by cleaning it all thoroughly, with something like barkeeper's friend. (Were it thick stainless then you could probably buff it out, but most are so thin that this could be a risky strategy).

As well as the acids,its worth being careful with salts like calcium chloride, which also marks stainless.
Kev

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 pm

Kev888 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am
If it is a stainless sink, there is some possibility that the etching looks worse because it is also cleaner than the surrounding metal. If so, then the contrast could be reduced by cleaning it all thoroughly, with something like barkeeper's friend. (Were it thick stainless then you could probably buff it out, but most are so thin that this could be a risky strategy).

As well as the acids,its worth being careful with salts like calcium chloride, which also marks stainless.
So when are you planning to let tourer know CRS doesn't degrade for as long as the cap is on tight?
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:44 pm

Heh, yes. But the damage seems to be already done in that respect too.

Presumably the date is there to protect the manufacturer (or to help them sell more). But it has meant nothing of significance that I can tell, according to alkalinity reducing performance. The humble alkalinity test kit is a very reassuring thing.
Kev

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:03 pm

Eric wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 pm
Kev888 wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am

So when are you planning to let tourer know CRS doesn't degrade for as long as the cap is on tight?
Oh great, that was a large bottle too. Well that's something else I've learn't, ain't Jim's great. But hey i'm a pensioner and as anyone will tell you were loaded or is it that the others are deluded.
thanks the replies.