Dry hopping and cold crashing

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Tomp
Steady Drinker

Dry hopping and cold crashing

Post by Tomp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:30 pm

Now I've got my cooling sorted, I'm trying to work out in my own mind when to dry hop when cold crashing.

I've now done a couple of brews and cold crashed then down to 4c for a few days and all goes well, but these haven't been dry hopped.

I'm about to do a recipe with 100g of dry hops in the fermentor - typically I do this for 4 days then keg. Question is - what will be the best time to dry hop in this case? I'm loathe to drop it into a secondary for the cold crash (although I could) as it ,might become contaminated.

So the question is - if I'm cold crashing for 4 days, do I put the hops in at the start of the cold crash, or for four days then cold crash? Will it affect the outcome? Or should I drop into the secondary and cold crash there.........?
It started with kits to save money and now look........!!!

Lots of kit, too many ingredients and not enough time, but a patient wife.... who loves my beer...........

Could be worse :-)

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Dry hopping and cold crashing

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:52 pm

There was just a topic on this which should prove helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=80925
Long story short - bung em in! My personal preference is add them near the end of fermentation, then crash out, yeast, pellets and all.

Jaydee
Tippler

Post by Jaydee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:06 pm

:s per Robwalkeragain, I add before end of fermentation and then cold crash. Syphon off the trub into a corny sand wait for drinking time.

Jaydee
Tippler

Post by Jaydee » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Sorry typo. and not sand!

dave_h
Tippler

Post by dave_h » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:10 pm

100g is a good amount of hops, I would throw them in a couple of points before FG so hopefully the yeast can eat any oxygen that gets put in. Then cold crash after 4 days (it will also give the yeast to clean up a little).

If you cold crash then hop it will take a lot longer for the hop flavor to come out.

I did just read on another forum someone suggesting to vacume seal the hops to get most of the air out then chuck them in, but I think this was for flowers.

Goosey
Piss Artist

Post by Goosey » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 pm

This is an interesting article on dry-hopping...https://www.rockstarbrewer.com/how-dry- ... -the-risk/

Skittlebrau
Sober

Post by Skittlebrau » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:33 pm

That is interesting! Yet another off-flavour pitfall...