Dishwasher sanitising

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Re: Dishwasher sanitising

Post by Meatymc » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:03 am

I don't think they get much above 75C. That's more than hot enough not to want to touch anything in there believe me - as I discovered when trying to recover a thermometer from my pan whilst mashing at 67C and with only a marigold to protect my hand!!

I know you're supposed to boil water for at least a minute to sanitise so would assume it's longer to sterilise. There is a difference.

Rubbery
Piss Artist

Post by Rubbery » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Sanitise = reduce bugs to a level not harmful to health
Sterilise = remove all bugs 100%

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:14 pm

Dishwashers aren’t hot enough or powerful enough to get water past the neck to the inverted base and give cruddy bottles a real clean.
I don’t understand why homebrewers still think they do an effective job at cleaning and sanitation. I think a big rinse and stored upside down after the bottle is poured has you 60% there but really nothing beats a good cleaning and sanitising soak.

Nalley
Sober

Post by Nalley » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:35 pm

Completely agree, Ciderhead. It would be awesome if dishwashers were good enough for this, but they simply aren't.

Touchstone
Steady Drinker

Post by Touchstone » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 am

Yes, agreed, but why do you get crud in bottles ? My idea of the DW is solely to sanitise ,if there’s any crud it must be removed by other means , rinse out bottles immediately after pouring for a start , result no crud !

Skittlebrau
Sober

Post by Skittlebrau » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:44 pm

LeeH wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:37 pm
Taken from how to brew by John Palmer.

Autoclaves, Pressure Cookers and Dishwashers
Typically when we talk about using steam we are referring to the use of an autoclave or pressure cooker. These devices use steam under pressure to sterilize items. Because steam conducts heat more efficiently, the cycle time for such devices is much shorter than when using dry heat. The typical amount of time it takes to sterilize a piece of equipment in an autoclave or pressure cooker is 20 minutes at 257° F (125 °C) at 20 pounds per square inch (psi).

Dishwashers can be used to sanitize, as opposed to sterilize, most of your brewing equipment, you just need to be careful that you don't warp any plastic items. The steam from the drying cycle will effectively sanitize all surfaces. Bottles and other equipment with narrow openings should be pre-cleaned. Run the equipment through the full wash cycle without using any detergent or rinse agent. Dishwasher Rinse Agents will destroy the head retention on your glassware. If you pour a beer with carbonation and no head, this might be the cause
Finally moving to somewhere with a dishwasher so shall bear this in mind. Useful stuff!