Bit of advice needed

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
pas8280
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze
Location: Hindley Green near Wigan but far enough away for it to count :)

Bit of advice needed

Post by pas8280 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Looking for a bit of advice folks, I’ve been brewing for quite a while now and have been really struggling with hoppy beers.
I have been trying to make hop forward pales. Throwing in tons of late hops like Citra and mosaic but can never really taste either hop in the finished beer even when drank young. They are all a little insipid really.
I’ve tried US05, Westcoast yeast and couple of the Mangrove Jack yeasts. All to no avail. I was considering that I may have been over sparging but all my numbers are on target so don’t think it’s that. I’m using the same water treatment as my local micro brewery.
I’m very lost now not a clue what’s going wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?
The Hollyhop Brewery 100 litre stainless

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol - anon

Secla

Re: Bit of advice needed

Post by Secla » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:41 pm

Avoid oxygen at all costs. I don't know what fermenters etc you used but if you can add co2 when coldcrashing and closed transfer to keg I found that helps a lot

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 pm

I’ve got a 60 litre wide opening, not sure I could introduce CO2, but the cold crashing is ringing a bell, the beer tastes pretty hoppy until I cold crash.

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her - W.C. Fields

Secla

Post by Secla » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:26 pm

i managed to do it even with a plastic euro fermenter. Used barb for blow off out of the top, when cold crashing connect co2 source to the barb and put about 1-2psi of pressure on. do the same to transfer to keg

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:47 pm

Different post-boil cooling times (between different systems) means the results of late hops may vary - if your wort stays hot for a long time you may want to make the timings a bit later or bias them towards the <80c steep, for example. But either way, for hop-forward beers with real aroma and flavour, it is hard to beat dry hopping IMO.

(Using the same water treatment as your local brewery may be okay, but it depends if they use the same water and make hop-forward beers).
Kev

Secla

Post by Secla » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:53 pm

Id also go with whirlpool/dry hop rather than late boil hops

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:47 pm

I’d be dry hopping and checking your own water profile.
Fresh hops is a major thing only 2017 pellet stored only in vac bags and in freezer.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:25 am

Yea pretty much the only way to get a big hop aroma is cold side hopping, when you add hops to heat it flashes off a lot of myrcene which is the main aroma oil in big fruity hops like mosaic, Simcoe etc.
Grab a Syphon filter. Brew a plain beer US beer and dry hop with 200g loose pellets. Bottle/keg using the filter to remove the hops and I bet you'll get what you're after.

pas8280

Post by pas8280 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Cheers guys, I’ve got 300g of mosaic hop pellets left. I used 200g in my last 50 litre brew then cold crashed.
Still no flavour and no aroma. Plus it won’t clear.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:14 pm

Hmm. I wonder if there's an interfering flavour - like many have said oxidizing can be a massive culprit there. What water treatment are you using exactly? Dwb & ams?