Anyone used Dingemans Pale? Drop in sub for Maris Otter?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
privatewiddle
Tippler

Anyone used Dingemans Pale? Drop in sub for Maris Otter?

Post by privatewiddle » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:13 pm

Hello,

I've seen Dingemans Pale at a very good price and was thinking of trying it as a base. Would it work well as a substitute for Maris Otter in bitters, milds etc?

I like beer on the malty side and was wondering if anyone has any experience of it?

Thanks

robbym123
Steady Drinker

Re: Anyone used Dingemans Pale? Drop in sub for Maris Otter?

Post by robbym123 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 am

Hello PW,

Sorry, never used this grain, but would also like to give it a go. Would you mind saying what price, and where, you have seen it?.

Cheers

Rob

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:33 am

I have used it in the past as it was good value iirc but can't really remember what it was like or if I noticed a difference between it and british pale malts :) . The only thing I could say is that I have only ever been disappointed with one base malt and that was Bairds and was probably the fault of the milling of it rather than the actual malt. to be honest I've found all base malts to be very good, my current favourites are weyermans but I'm not making traditional english beers at the moment. Sorry if that's not much help :)

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:12 pm

robbym123 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 am
Hello PW,

Sorry, never used this grain, but would also like to give it a go. Would you mind saying what price, and where, you have seen it?.

Cheers

Rob
Hi,

Its from here, a large outlet in the Netherlands
https://www.brouwmarkt.nl/en/premium-qu ... -kilo.html

The price in Euros is E22.95, so £20.60 in GBP for 25 kilos

Delivery to GB is E8.75 (free on orders over E150)

To Ireland its E12.75 (free on orders over E250)

I'm buying a bunch of stuff so, just this once, will be placing a big order and as I need 4 sacks of different bases plus other malts, the prices for Swaen & Dingemans are very attractive.

I used to use Warminster MO but unfortunately, since moving to Ireland, I can't get it any more.

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Hanglow wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:33 am
I have used it in the past as it was good value iirc but can't really remember what it was like or if I noticed a difference between it and british pale malts :) . The only thing I could say is that I have only ever been disappointed with one base malt and that was Bairds and was probably the fault of the milling of it rather than the actual malt. to be honest I've found all base malts to be very good, my current favourites are weyermans but I'm not making traditional english beers at the moment. Sorry if that's not much help :)
I've seen a few mentions of Bairds causing problems for homebrewers. I think its very likely to be that their malt is less suited to our mills (and vice versa) than anything inherently wrong with their malt. After all they are very highly thought of by professional brewers.

privatewiddle
Tippler

Post by privatewiddle » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:26 pm

privatewiddle wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:12 pm
robbym123 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 am
Hello PW,

Cheers

Rob
Hi,

Its from here, a large outlet in the Netherlands (they list its colour at EBC 7, actually its EBC 9)

The price in Euros is E22.95, so £20.60 in GBP for 25 kilos

Delivery to GB is E8.75 (free on orders over E150)

To Ireland its E12.75 (free on orders over E250)

I'm buying a bunch of stuff so, just this once, will be placing a big order and as I need 4 sacks of different bases plus other malts, the prices for Swaen & Dingemans are very attractive.

I used to use Warminster MO but unfortunately, since moving to Ireland, I can't get it any more.

Here it is at The Malt Miller for comparison
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... 25kg-sack/

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:20 pm

I used to use dingemans pale a lot, but like another poster has mentioned, I can’t recall any side by side experience of it with MO. I was very happy with the beers it made, and I do have experience of making a Saison with it and another Saison with a different base malt; I can recall that the second version was lacking in some way.

It’s a good basemalt and will suit a lot of styles

Rubbery
Piss Artist

Post by Rubbery » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 pm

privatewiddle wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:26 pm
Its from here, a large outlet in the Netherlands
It does not look like they supply crushed. Maybe not an issue for you, but a lot of people do not have a grain mill.

Yes, it is a great base malt and can substitute for MO in most beers.