Tonka beans

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mbarn
Piss Artist

Tonka beans

Post by mbarn » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:30 pm

Has anyone got experience brewing with tonka beans?
I had a Lervig 3 bean stout at a beer festival in Leeds, and it was outstanding!

I’m eager to try tonka beans, but no idea whether I should add them to the mash, boil, or fermentation.
I understand they are toxic in large amounts.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Using Tapatalk

richard080561
Piss Artist

Re: Tonka beans

Post by richard080561 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:43 pm

In the interests of bumping the post in the hope you get an answer, I have to say that I have no idea what a Tonka bean is or how you would use it, or any other bean when brewing beer
Richard M
Cardiff

oldbloke
Under the Table

Post by oldbloke » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 am

All I know is that Nigella Lawson uses them in her trifle recipe! It was on Australian Masterchef today!

Jim
Site Admin

Post by Jim » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:04 am

Well that's a new one on me! 3 bean stout eh? :shock:
NURSE!! He's out of bed again!

JBK on Facebook
JBK on Twitter

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 am

The tonka beans add a vanilla and spice type flavour to the beer, as well as amazing aroma, which is why tonka is in some high end perfumes, and a lot of higher end dessert.

I’d like to experiment with tonka, vanilla, and cocao in a porter or stout.

The Lervig stout had a taste of vanilla, spice, chocolate, malts, then a big alcohol hit, reminiscent of a spirit.

Using Tapatalk

Thorbz
Piss Artist

Post by Thorbz » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:38 am

I made a Left Hand Milk Stout clone, and dosed half the batch with a tonka bean tincture I'd made using vodka. I don't have a record of how much I used, although I think I just used the same rate as the guy from Kilned Brewing, so I maybe used 7 or 8 beans in 11.5 L. The taste was pretty dominant, and it certainly stuck around. I'd probably use less next time, which isn't to say it wasn't a good beer.

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:04 am

Thorbz wrote:I made a Left Hand Milk Stout clone, and dosed half the batch with a tonka bean tincture I'd made using vodka. I don't have a record of how much I used, although I think I just used the same rate as the guy from Kilned Brewing, so I maybe used 7 or 8 beans in 11.5 L. The taste was pretty dominant, and it certainly stuck around. I'd probably use less next time, which isn't to say it wasn't a good beer.
Thanks for the info. Rates I’ve seen online from one brewer show 80g per 1000 litres, so it’s definitely something to use sparingly.

Using Tapatalk

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:43 am

This beer is getting some traction among some of my homebrewer friends and so the search is on to start a brew clone of it. http://lervig.no/en/brew/3-bean-stout/ is a starting point but it lacks information. If anyone has any idea's on a more detailed recipe,don't be shy [-X
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:03 am

John Luc - that’s the one I had. It’s outstanding. I don’t use that word often, but it was the best beer I’ve ever had.

Using Tapatalk

john luc
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by john luc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:47 am

http://kilnedbrewing.blogspot.com/2015/ ... stout.html His beer is a 1052 SG so much lower than Lervig and he used 15 beans crushed and soaked in spirit
Deos miscendarum discipule
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:54 pm

I’m going to give it a go. I just bottled a porter today, and have a citra blonde to bottle in a few weeks, but once I have some bottles spare, I’ll be making it.

Using Tapatalk

mbarn
Piss Artist

Post by mbarn » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:13 pm

I’ve brewed a couple of beers with Tonka beans now.

First beer I soaked 2 beans in vodka and then grated them. 1 in the boil 1 in the FV. Didn’t really work.

Second beer I soaked 4 in vodka and grated them in the FV. It was overpowering for some time.

Third beer I soaked and grated 2 in to the FV, and used some cacao. The beer was really bitter because of the excessive use of cacao but the tonka was almost perfect level.
Using Tapatalk