Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Carnot
Steady Drinker
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Carnot » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm

I would not be too hard on Murphy not being able to determine sodium content. Sodium and Potassium are not particularly easy to determine, and require the use of a flame ionisation spectrophotometer i.e. high cost. Nitrate and sulphate are also not that simple.

I would consider a fee of £26 for the above tests as exceptionally cheap.

User avatar
barneey
Telling imaginary friend stories
Posts: 5283
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: East Kent

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by barneey » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:37 pm

+1 for a Wallybrew water test.

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by WallyBrew » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Carnot wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm
Sodium and Potassium are not particularly easy to determine, and require the use of a flame ionisation spectrophotometer
Does it really? Shame I gave my Perkin Elmer AA away 4 years ago, should have known better.
Carnot wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm
i.e. high cost. Nitrate and sulphate are also not that simple.
more than one way to skin a cat here.
Carnot wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:52 pm
I would consider a fee of £26 for the above tests as exceptionally cheap.
I'd agree. Before I retired I would have charged much more.

Heron1952
Piss Artist
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Burford, Oxfordshire

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Heron1952 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 pm

:twisted: Always use a Wallybrew water test, should do more than once a year, but now that he's been told to put his prices up, thanks for that whoever suggested that.
aka Rhys

guypettigrew
Under the Table
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: Christchurch, Dorset

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by guypettigrew » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Heron1952 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 pm
:twisted: Always use a Wallybrew water test, should do more than once a year, but now that he's been told to put his prices up, thanks for that whoever suggested that.
Any chance you could explain wtf you're talking about? And why you're so angry about it? A twisted evil emoji--a step too far, surely.

Neil charged me £25 for a test a year ago and £26 this year.

Guy

User avatar
Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Posts: 7700
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:22 pm
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Kev888 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:24 pm

IMO Murphy's reports relate well to advising their own water treatment solutions. But they may not always tally with what you (or your chosen calculators) want to know for alternative or more advanced treatment.

If you wish for a wider set of results, or have special requirements, then yes definitely; phoenix analytical (wallybrew, on here) would be my go-to. He's a pro and rather more flexible.
Kev

Heron1952
Piss Artist
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:39 pm
Location: Burford, Oxfordshire

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Heron1952 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:41 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 pm
Heron1952 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:54 pm
:twisted: Always use a Wallybrew water test, should do more than once a year, but now that he's been told to put his prices up, thanks for that whoever suggested that.
Any chance you could explain wtf you're talking about? And why you're so angry about it? A twisted evil emoji--a step too far, surely.

Neil charged me £25 for a test a year ago and £26 this year. 8)

Guy
pm'd you Guy 8) My ironic anger was not directed at Wallybrew u may have missed my point :lol: Wallybrew is great value at any price!!!!
aka Rhys

User avatar
HTH1975
Piss Artist
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Thirsk, North Yorks (ex-pat Geordie)

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by HTH1975 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:29 am

I’ve used Murphys for a couple of years now and they’re quick and very helpful. I’ve exchanged emails with the lab guy there over the years and he has been very generous with his time. My beers improved immediately after using their suggestions, so I got what I wanted.

At some point I’d like to get Wallybrew to do an analysis of my brewing liquor, just for comparison (and because he comes so highly recommended).

guypettigrew
Under the Table
Posts: 1938
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 pm
Location: Christchurch, Dorset

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by guypettigrew » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks for the pm Heron. Understood.

Guy

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 pm
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm

I have just had emails bounce back rejected from both the neil... and Enquires... emails, but strangely identical cut and pasted address from googling Enquiries address seemed to send.

Hope we haven't caused a problem inadvertently for Neil and I await his reply, if the 3rd attempt arrives.

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by WallyBrew » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:15 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm
I have just had emails bounce back rejected from both the neil... and Enquires... emails, but strangely identical cut and pasted address from googling Enquiries address seemed to send.

Hope we haven't caused a problem inadvertently for Neil and I await his reply, if the 3rd attempt arrives.
as your location relates to something in an email I have received then you got through but I have no idea why anything should bounce back

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs
Posts: 361
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:03 pm
Location: Derbyshire, UK

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Kingfisher4 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:41 pm

WallyBrew wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:15 pm
Kingfisher4 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm
I have just had emails bounce back rejected from both the neil... and Enquires... emails, but strangely identical cut and pasted address from googling Enquiries address seemed to send.

Hope we haven't caused a problem inadvertently for Neil and I await his reply, if the 3rd attempt arrives.
as your location relates to something in an email I have received then you got through but I have no idea why anything should bounce back
Great, I hoped we hadn't caused an inadvertent crash of your email address or spam surge.

User avatar
LeeH
Under the Table
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: North Lincs
Contact:

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by LeeH » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Pmd you WB.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

User avatar
LeeH
Under the Table
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: North Lincs
Contact:

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by LeeH » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:32 am

Hi WB, I emailed you have had no instructions back regarding address and payment.

Cheers.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Fastline
Hollow Legs
Posts: 422
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:38 pm
Location: Eltham London

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Fastline » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm

How does it work, does he send you something to put water in?

Post Reply