Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Water analysis by Wallybrew/Pheonix analytical

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Yeah, I have to admit I am thankful I dont need to really worry about adding stuff to reduce alkalinity. I was up in Argyll for the half term break last week and popped into Fyne Ales brewery tap and shop. It was interesting that they use the water from the surrounding hills and mountains for their brewing. The local pub had their session IPA (name escapes me) on tap which was nice.
Last edited by Rhodesy on Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Big fan of Fyne, probably my favourite scottish brewery and I always pop in there when I pass.

If you went to the Loch Fyne oyster bar further round, you can order their tap water which is straight off the hill behind them - they warn you it's actually light brown as it passes through peat and it tastes quite sweet for plain water. Or at least they did last time I visited there which was a couple of years ago now. I wonder if the fyne water is the same

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Hanglow wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 pm
Big fan of Fyne, probably my favourite scottish brewery and I always pop in there when I pass.

If you went to the Loch Fyne oyster bar further round, you can order their tap water which is straight off the hill behind them - they warn you it's actually light brown as it passes through peat and it tastes quite sweet for plain water. Or at least they did last time I visited there which was a couple of years ago now. I wonder if the fyne water is the same
We never stopped there to eat as my son wanted to goto the chippy in Inveraray however at Loch Goilhead where we were based the water was like that as well due to passing through the peat. I actually wondered myself what I would do if I ever moved out that way in terms of homebrew and if the water was like that. I would love to have a place out that way, it's a beautiful part of the country and only a 90 min drive from where I am.

Hanglow
Under the Table

Post by Hanglow » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:48 pm

I stayed on Mull a couple of years ago and the hotel there was the same, although their water was noticably darker than the loch fyne water. Theirs was treated with UV but they said they still had to supply everyone with bottled water as few people wanted to drink it. I thought it was fine :)

My favourite bit of scotland is a bit further up, Skye/Kyle of Lochalsh and up to Assynt. It's all good though. Easy to forget just how varied a country it is despite being so small

anyway, water etc.....