Kwik Clear - strange stratification

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
peteturbo
Tippler

Kwik Clear - strange stratification

Post by peteturbo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:24 am

Hi,

I normally use irish moss for fining with excellent results.

sometimes i forget and use Kwik Clear.

This time its gone odd. After 24hrs the top inch or so of the beer is gin clear - absolutely crystal, colourless. Then the 'beer' layer starts, but with great big lump just under the interface, and more so besides.

i seem to have got some sort of reversed layer and the heavy lump at the top of the beer layer now cant sink.

At 48hrs i gave it a gentle stir just at the surface to mix the layers. now this morning - 60hrs, the same startificaiton - reduced - top layer only 1cm, but still heavy sediment under the top layer.

has anyone seen this before and do they know how to solve it please?

Regards

Peteturbo

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: Kwik Clear - strange stratification

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 pm

To me it sounds like the loose yeast is bonding to the fining and not dropping, ie the second one may be ineffective. I use a similar regime of Aux then Isinglass, the two opposite charges, but aux is added 1-2 days before Isinglass.
Can you chill it right down? That might do it. If not I'd be tempted to try another charge of gelatin from the supermarket.
Did you use the correct dosage? Racking to keg might also solve it, as it'll mix it very well.

peteturbo
Tippler

Post by peteturbo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks, Rob. That sounds good. i have it chilled outside as much as possible and have now added a new double dose (both components, 10ml each).
For kwik clear, the first charge is 30 minutes before, not days.
Its probably 12 degrees in the shed.
I need to rack it to corney tomorrow, so hope it works.
Tastes good, but dodgy afterflavours etc.
P

peteturbo
Tippler

Post by peteturbo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:32 pm

Dropped it two days ago. Clear and tasty. still some stuff on the top. Biggest issue is lost my co2 in corny valve. CANT GET BEER OUT!!!!
Time to use the co2 set up that has been mouldering waiting for bottles and parts for years....