No Boil, Fresh Hops - 50% Hops!!!

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
peteturbo
Tippler

No Boil, Fresh Hops - 50% Hops!!!

Post by peteturbo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:45 pm

Thought i would use try a no boil, but with fresh hops.

I have a new measure for hops, since the normal weight doesnt work = 50%!!

As in = I aim to make 20Litres of beer, so i will use 10 litres of fresh hops by volume. = 50%

this is due to the very small utilisation in the mash tun. Obviously this is a bit expensive unless you have your own hop bushes..... TADA!!!

Picked them today - very late in the season, but means i get them very very ripe ad i can pick and choose the ones still tight and good. and half a bucket full.

5kg Maris Otter, 250g crystal just for a bit of feel, and 20L hops all in the mash tun.

I want as much heat as possible so will have a strike temp of 68 - 72 degrees, aiming for a 90 minute single mash at 65 to 68 ish and then a continuous sparge to get only 20L, maybe a little more, depends how its running.

Cool it over night, chuck it on Thursdays new yeast cake.

well, at least i get pasteurisation at 65 degs plus for 90 minutes! No hot break, no cold break. God knows how to fine it.

Lots of things about this worry me. Its simple and quick! I have also never used an yeast cake before.

what could go wrong?

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Re: No Boil, Fresh Hops - 50% Hops!!!

Post by HTH1975 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:51 pm

Finings... isinglass to pull yeast out of suspension, adjunct to pull protein haze out of suspension. Should make it MUCH clearer.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:21 pm

Forget about haze, no boil beers are often hazy - the important thing is to pull out any yeast floating about, which makes the beer turbid and adds a yeast bite. As long as you cool it down and get rid of that lot, chill haze is tasteless so won't affect the flavour of the beer.
Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:12 pm

It’s a nice easy style to make - I did mine with Amarillo in the mash, but ended up doing another mini-brew with extract to increase the bitterness. It was very tasty, very cloudy (cold crashed, but no finings). Defo a style I’d do again.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:02 am

Why not chuck in a couple of tablespoons of plain flour( Randy Mosher's advice) just to make sure it's cloudy enough ? :roll: :roll:
How to make bright beer was discovered in the mid 1800's why step backwards ? Unless you can't make clear beer.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

peteturbo
Tippler

Post by peteturbo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:35 pm

Hi IPA.
Time and botheration. if i can avoid the boil and cool i knock masses off my brewtime.
Using the old yeast cake has also dramatically sped up fermentation - its almost finished. I'll leave the little yeasties probably a week or so to clear up after themselves.
It looks like its all about time, of course it isnt, but i thought i would give it a go.
and ive never made a cloudy beer before!!! ;)

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Post by HTH1975 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:55 am

The big issue for no-boil beer is getting enough bitterness in your beer. I think at the time when this was standard process, people would use other ‘roots’ to bitter like dandelion or bog myrtle. Maybe go down that route (or root) 😁

TheSumOfAllBeers
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by TheSumOfAllBeers » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Or use isomerised hop extract. Very effective with unboiled wort

peteturbo
Tippler

Post by peteturbo » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:36 pm

Thanks, Sum, guess what i have already in front of me just in case. Theres a couple bits floating on the surface. Little worried i may have an infection (and not surprised), might campden tablet it?

peteturbo
Tippler

Post by peteturbo » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:00 pm

clear as a bell up top. but so much sludge the tap is submerged. dig tap out, allow to settle again - rack.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:31 pm

The boil is an important stage for several good reasons in normal (grain) homebrewing and so there will inevitably be consequences of not doing it. But it seems you're doing this with eyes open, so in this case its all part of the fun.

IMO infections (to a greater or lesser extent) are probably going to be one of those consequences. You'll be partly relying on the intended/pitched yeast to get going fast enough to limit the damage - claiming most of the sugars for themselves and making an environment which other infections find challenging. Though the influence of competitors, and variation of that brew to brew, will likely still be part of the nature of beer made in this way - interesting, if nothing else!
Kev

peteturbo
Tippler

Post by peteturbo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:29 pm

Thanks, Kev
Comments i agree with.
So yes, i had signs of infection and campdened it two weeks ago.
Left it another 10 days, kegged it.
Done gone out clear and tastes good. Clean but green and a fresh hoppy taste.
You cant achieve this taste any other way.
not very biter so add isomerisaion and the thing is very good.
Unique.
green hops unboiled are so green and unboiled, and the bill so large, no wonderit has died.
But well worth the occasional flutter.
Drinking it now, light, clear, unique. you cant buy it and isnt that part of why we are here?
R

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:51 am

Sounds like a result! Good stuff, could easily have gone either way.

Yes, the ability to brew unique beers to our own preferences and experiment with our own methods and recipes are all part of the satisfaction for many home-brewers. This isn't something I would personally have tried, so its interesting to read about; reminds me of the breadth of interest out there.
Kev