Boiling in an Erlenmeyer flask

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Boiling in an Erlenmeyer flask

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:49 pm

Well, that was exciting!

Usually I boil the dried malt extract for a yeast starter in a saucepan, transfer it to a jug with a lip, pour it into my 2 litre flask and then dump it in a sink full of cold water to cool.

This time I decided to speed the process and reduce the washing up by boiling the DME in the flask (It's boro silicate, so safe) and going straight into the sink.

One moment there was a litre of malt extract slowly warming on the hob, the next moment there was a fountain of boiling liquid. Messy!!

It turned out about 150ml had ejected itself from the flask, but there was still enough liquid left to pitch the yeast into for a starter.

So, how do I avoid similar excitement next time?

Thanks.

Guy

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Boiling in an Erlenmeyer flask

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:59 pm

You can use product such as this which help. You only need a tiny amount in water and can then add when coming to the boil, give the flask a swirl and it will more or less control it. I keep it in a 50ml spray bottle, it means I no longer get any boil overs when making starters as you have just experienced.

WallyBrew
Hollow Legs

Post by WallyBrew » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:49 pm
So, how do I avoid similar excitement next time?
Stand there and do not take your eyes off it. Be ready to turn the heat down and whip it away from the heat if it starts to climb to quickly. The other option is a wash bottle so you can squirt cold water at the foam and hope it collapses.

RobP
Steady Drinker

Post by RobP » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Swirl the water around periodically as it comes to the boil, stops layering.

wally
Steady Drinker

Post by wally » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:27 pm

I find that one drop of Fermcap-S is enough to stop boil overs in a flask on the stove.

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:30 pm

Patience is the key. I put the water in, then the dme and then give it a good swirl. Then its onto a low heat and every minute or so i give it another swirl. This makes sure all the dme has dissolved. I then continue on a low heat swirling now and then untill it very slightly starts to bubble. The heat then goes up very slightly untill i get a very soft boil. I then let it boil for 10 minutes. Whilst this is going on i have a spray bottle of star san ready. If you get a bit of foam nearing the tip, a quick squirt into the flask instantly drops it back. This can also be done to prevent a boil over.

ciderhead
Piss Artist

Post by ciderhead » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:32 pm

I position flask over 1/4 to half the flame and it rolls the boiling wort and never boils up the flask

guypettigrew

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks all, much appreciated.

The anti foam stuff from Brew Uk looks interesting. Is it the same as the Fermcap-S, does anyone know? 100ml of it would last me the rest of my life at one drop/starter!

Next time I'll pay much more attention to it and not take any chances now I know how suddenly it can boil over.

Guy

Rhodesy

Post by Rhodesy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 pm

I am unsure on dosage comparison / concentration however it seems to be similar as silicone based. I find it very effective as I use it for starters and also in the kettle. Another tip when boiling in the flask is to never add yeast nutrient when boiling :D. I add that with the DME before boiling.
Dimethicone (also called polymethylsiloxane or dimethylpolysiloxane) is a silicon-based polymer used as a lubricant and conditioning agent. It functions as an anti-foaming agent, skin conditioning agent, occlusive and skin protectant.

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:51 pm

Also helps to get a wire gauze to diffuse the heat.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

FUBAR

Post by FUBAR » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:36 am

You need the lowest possible heat,it pays to boil some water in a kettle first to dissolve the DME in a jug before adding to the flask and set at the lowest heat.It doesn't matter if it takes a while, and a very gentle simmer for 15 to 20 minutes will do the job .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:35 am

FUBAR wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:36 am
You need the lowest possible heat,it pays to boil some water in a kettle first to dissolve the DME in a jug before adding to the flask and set at the lowest heat.It doesn't matter if it takes a while, and a very gentle simmer for 15 to 20 minutes will do the job .
That is exactly what I do. Disolve the DME in a little boiling water pour it into the flask and top up to required volume with more boiling water. Then simmer for 10 minutes.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Normski
Under the Table

Post by Normski » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm

If I remember correctly, According to Walter White an erlenmeyer flask is for measuring and mixing, not boiling. :wink:
The Doghouse Brewery (UK)

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Normski wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm
If I remember correctly, According to Walter White an erlenmeyer flask is for measuring and mixing, not boiling. :wink:
Maybe. But it works fine for boiling and it gets sterilised inside and out during the process
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

chefgage
Hollow Legs

Post by chefgage » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:34 pm

Normski wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:20 pm
Everytime i use mine i think of breaking bad :)