Dry hopping can lead to exploding bottles

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
gr_baker
Piss Artist

Dry hopping can lead to exploding bottles

Post by gr_baker » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Some breweries in the US that dry hop and bottle condition have been having exploding bottles. It seems that hops contain alpha and beta amalyse and can reduce long chain sugars to short chain sugars which are then fermented by the yeast and cause the exploding bottles.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pres ... cohol.html

The paper linked identifies the problem but unfortunately does not suggest any remedies.

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Dry hopping can lead to exploding bottles

Post by LeeH » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Never experienced that personally but quite interesting.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 am

[quote=gr_baker post_id=837723 time=1538831404 user_id=1484
The paper linked identifies the problem but unfortunately does not suggest any remedies.
[/quote]

Could have been that they bottled at the wrong gravity ! Sounds like yet another internet myth in the making
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

PhilB
Piss Artist

Post by PhilB » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:30 am

Hi IPA
IPA wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 am
Sounds like yet another internet myth in the making
... no, the diastatic power of dry-hops has been known about (by brewing scientists and brewers who read the Brewing Guardian, at least) since 1893, as reported in Ron Pattinson's blog there (link) :? ... it looks like the brewers in the linked article are experiencing the issues predicted/wondered about by Ron at the end of his blog post :?

Cheers, PhilB

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:12 pm

People have previously reported renewed activity after dry hopping, but I don't recall it catching anyone out with bombs. Seems unlikely to do so in a careful homebrew environment, but maybe with faster commercial turn-around comes greater risk (if the activity is slow and protracted enough).

Though for me, dry hopping has sometimes 'seemed' to kick things off again, but there hasn't been any associated reduction in gravity (large enough for me to detect, anyway). So I suspect the hops mostly just started liberating existing CO2 in my case.
Kev

Critch
Sober

Post by Critch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:14 am

I've noticed a reduction in gravity on commercial brews, there is definite merit in the research. as PhilB has mentioned this has been observed for a long period of time

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:19 am

Yeah it's a bugger, not least mentioning the extra nucleation points in the barrel if it's unfiltered. Our dry hopped cask gets pretty excitable after 3 months