What yeast for Old Peculier

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Re: What yeast for Old Peculier

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm

Notty sucks imo, dry and flavourless, I dont personally think you can brew really good English ales without a cracking wet yeast, and I'm a dry yeast user. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion but having used Nottingham for a year straight I was positively enlightened when I switched away from it.

Regarding sugar can I suggest liquifying it before adding it - either mix with boiling wort or on the hob, then add back slowly, you don't want that crap settling on your elements - but otherwise it's perfectly fine to add at any point in the boil.

Halycon
Sober

Post by Halycon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:36 am

Cheers for the info people.
Reckon on a course of action with pre boiling the sugar,might add some black treacle and use a liquid yeast ,wont use notty as im not a great fan and hopefully my brewshop in Christchurch will have the right wyeyeast or whitelabs strain,off for a look see now on the web ,many thanks
ps if anybody has greg hughes book then highly recommend his American wheat beer but use waiti hops at flameout and add 50gms hop steep at 75degrees,beaut of a summer drink.

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 am

I made this sometime ago and from what I remember it turned out well.

I used Wyeast 1968 ESB yeast and added 200g of black treacle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeeBee
Under the Table

Post by PeeBee » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:33 am

wezzel01 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 am
... added 200g of black treacle.
200g! :shock:

Don't do what I did and keep adding the treacle for 30-40 years before realising what a disastrous effect it was having on the beer (as per my first post in this thread).

I stopped using treacle way back and switched to molasses. Although it's less refined its flavour isn't so strong (could be argued more refined - molasses is what they refine out of sugar).

Another reason I began to doubt the "primed with treacle" story for OP is how that could that be quantified? Some people insist on adding some 100g of priming sugar in a 5 gallon batch which is nothing short of fizzy. I'd put in a tenth of that, creating carbonation more like OP would intend to be served, but if I was using treacle and relying on it to add "flavour" I'd obviously be getting a tenth of that "flavour" too. And does Theakston actually add any priming to their casks?
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

wezzel01
Piss Artist

Post by wezzel01 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:32 pm

The back treacle was not used for priming but added towards the end of the boil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk