First lager, need a few pointers

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Bazz
Piss Artist

First lager, need a few pointers

Post by Bazz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted up, still been brewing though. This winter I'm going to have a crack at a lager, no problems with most of the process but a couple around fermentation and conditioning.

Right, so after the boil and I'm chilling, with all the will in the world I doubt I'll get the wort below 18degC, so do I pitch the yeast straight away and allow the temperature to drop in the brew fridge post pitching, or chill the wort down to 12degC then pitch the yeast?

Also, I have bought 2 packets of Saflager S-23 yeast, now reading the information it looks as though I'll need 4 packets, could I get round this by making a starter? And how much spray malt and water for this?

Towards the end of fermentation do I need to raise the temperature (diactyl rest?)

My plan for conditioning was to remove the beer off of the yeast and keg it, purge the keg with CO2 and then give it 4 weeks back in the brew fridge at close to zero, is this acceptable?

Thanks.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Re: First lager, need a few pointers

Post by HTH1975 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 pm

If you brew in winter, your tap water should be down to 3-5C easy - mine normally does. I got my lager down to 10C and pitched Saf lager yeast.

I’ve done Kölsch more than lager, just as I prefer it and you also ferment at 16-20C, so no trouble with normal kitchen/cellar temperatures for fermentation.

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi,

I would cool to fermentation temperature before pitching. I've found that 2 packets of yeast are just fine for 25 litres. How big is your batch?

I don't carbonate before lagering, instead doing it in a fermentation bin in the freezer.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:32 pm

gr_baker wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:42 pm
Hi,

I would cool to fermentation temperature before pitching. I've found that 2 packets of yeast are just fine for 25 litres. How big is your batch?

I don't carbonate before lagering, instead doing it in a fermentation bin in the freezer.
Yeah I wasn't going to carbonate, just purge the air out with CO2 and then carbonate after. Do you rack yours off of the yeast before lagering?

And yeah, mine is a 23 litre batch.

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Post by gr_baker » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:53 pm

I do two weeks in primary, add gelatine and leave for a few days then rack off to secondary and lager for 4 weeks.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:22 am

Pitching at 18 won't hurt at all, yeast thrives around body temperature (35c), it just doesn't have desirable fermentation characteristics at that temp. As long as it's down to temperature by the time the yeast is really active it'll be fine.

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Okay then, i got this brewed the other day and apart from being a couple of gravity points out all went well and a happy fermentation is taking place, however when i open the door to the brew fridge there is an unmissable sulphur smell, now i'm sure i've read that this isn't that unusual so i'm not overly concerned at this point, but should i raise the temperature at all at any point or just leave it at 12degC?

Thanks.

alexlark
Under the Table

Post by alexlark » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 pm

I tend to raise the temp after 5 days to make sure it clears up. The sulfur smell is normal. You know you're making proper lager when you smell it!

Secla
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by Secla » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:58 am

i also did the quick lager method of raising the temp after about half the fermentation is done, speeds up the process and didnt seem to affect the flavour at all

james1988
Piss Artist

Post by james1988 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:17 am

alexlark wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 pm
I tend to raise the temp after 5 days to make sure it clears up. The sulfur smell is normal. You know you're making proper lager when you smell it!
Absolutely spot on with that comment!

I've just had a bash at a lager myself. There's a thread in the brewday forum detailing how I did mine which may be of some help.

James

Bazz
Piss Artist

Post by Bazz » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:38 am

alexlark wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:30 pm
Thank you,very reassuring :D