Pellets for dry hopping

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Pellets for dry hopping

Post by guypettigrew » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:23 pm

For the first time I've used hop pellets to dry hop in the keg. Until now it's always been whole hops.

I was a bit nervous that the pellets might break up and get through the hop filter in the keg. The beer in the glass would then have loads of tiny bits of hops in it.

No problem so far, to my great surprise and pleasure! The beer is a light coloured one, so any bits would be immediately obvious. But no, clear beer every pint so far.

Definitely worth trying again with different hops.

Guy

PeeBee
Under the Table

Re: Pellets for dry hopping

Post by PeeBee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:27 pm

guypettigrew wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:23 pm
… I was a bit nervous that the pellets might break up and get through the hop filter in the keg. The beer in the glass would then have loads of tiny bits of hops in it. …
Never thought of it not working right. I use the 300um 290x70 hop baskets (loads of eBay sellers) in my fermenter and in the kegs (Corny) with no bother, although you do have to watch that the lids don't pull off when fishing them out of kegs (don't lift them out by the lid only). Even when that happened to me I never saw hop debris in the glass.
Cask-conditioned style ale out of a keg/Cornie (the "treatise"): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwzEv5 ... rDKRMjcO1g
Water report demystified (the "Defuddler"; removes the nonsense!): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:03 am

Simple filter catches most of it, the rest will settle with any remaining trub as long as it's undisturbed. They work great I think!

Aerostef67
Sober

Post by Aerostef67 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:08 pm

I use a small in-line filter from the MaltMiller and it works a treat.