St Austel 'Proper Job' Cornish IPA - help please

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Bertie Doe
Steady Drinker

St Austel 'Proper Job' Cornish IPA - help please

Post by Bertie Doe » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:53 pm

A number of years ago, I had a nice pint of the above, in a pub, about 5 miles south of me, in Looe. The pub stocks the draft version which is 4.5% abv. I noticed that the local supermarket sold the bottled version at 5.5% abv, so I bought some. It was a delight, not quite as smooth as the draft but I'm determined to try it at home.

Googling the St Austel Brewery web site, it confirms they use local grown Maris Otter Pale malt and Chinook, Cascade and Willamette hops. Maybe Anglo American origins but the bottle does say "Cornish IPA" on the bottle :) . There was something vaguely familiar about this IPA. I haven't used any of the above (USA) hops before but I know the Cascade hop was developed from our Fuggle hop, so may share some taste characteristics?

I contacted St Austel to get some info, I informed them I was a homebrewer and they were very helpful. This is an extract from their reply " I can reveal that Chinook and Willamette go into the boil, Willamette, Chinook and Cascade go into the hop back and Chinook is used to dry hop. IBUs are around 50."

Looking at a 23 L batch, can anyone give me some help on :-

How much Maris Otter to hit 5.5%., plus what proportions and amounts of hops to use. I know the hop question is tricky but any ballpark amounts to use, from anyone familiar with these hops.

My homebrew shop in Plymouth has the hops and he also sells Mangrove Jacks M42 and M44 yeasts. Any thoughts on yeasts? This will be my first attempt at an IPA. Thanks in anticipation.

HTH1975
Piss Artist

Re: St Austel 'Proper Job' Cornish IPA - help please

Post by HTH1975 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 pm

Try downloading Brewers Friend - it’s very easy to use and will help you formulate recipes.

f00b4r
Site Admin

Post by f00b4r » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:27 pm

viewtopic.php?t=56478

Brew UK also sell a pre prepared pack of this, although others such as Malt Miller and Get Er Brewed will also make it up to your specs.

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:25 am

Here on Jim's. Click on JBK links then calculators and download Graham's Beer Engine. It will perform all the tasks you have asked and many more beside. Plus it is free. If you then need to know how to use it to lts full capacity just post your questions. You never know they might help someone else.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:10 am

And just to add why not use St Austells own yeast by scavenging from bottles of Proper Job? I'm using this process to get my base yeast on a lot of my IPA's and bitters. Simple process - just search on here - or IPA will sort you out if you're stuck.

No more expensive buying 3 or 4 bottles of PJ (on a supermarket deal) to get at the yeast than buying-in yeast and you get to drink said beer as well :) Add it to the wifes weekly shopping list and all of a sudden - it's free :D

Bertie Doe
Steady Drinker

Post by Bertie Doe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 pm

That brilliant foob4, thanks for the link to bigrichlock's post/recipe. I may invest in a Hop Back sometime in the future. In the short term, I'll probably get a hop spider, even tho' it may not get the same extraction as a HB but it'll be an improvement on my present method of using hop bags only.

Thanks Meatymc the llast couple of PJ bottles from the supermarket are pretty clear - despite the bottle warning to pour carefully to avoid disturbing the sediment. I'm planning on a guided tour of the brewery and bar soon. Maybe if I contact them in advance, I could get some real yeast from them?

I'll def download the Beer Engine IPA and yell if I run into probs. Regards and thanks again.

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 pm

Bertie Doe wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks Meatymc the llast couple of PJ bottles from the supermarket are pretty clear - despite the bottle warning to pour carefully to avoid disturbing the sediment. I'm planning on a guided tour of the brewery and bar soon. Maybe if I contact them in advance, I could get some real yeast from them?
I wouldn't worry about the supermarket bottles looking clear. I have made starters using the last bit of beer from a few bottles two or three times and it has always worked
Richard M
Cardiff

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:48 pm

richard080561 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:20 pm
Bertie Doe wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 pm
I wouldn't worry about the supermarket bottles looking clear. I have made starters using the last bit of beer from a few bottles two or three times and it has always worked

Ditto. I did notice there didn't seem as much sediment as usual on the last scavenge exercise I did but, as Richard has said, still works. I did get them as cold as possible to drop as many of the suspended goodies to the bottom of the bottles as possible before running off though.

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:46 pm

St Austel Proper Job is in my top 5 commercial beers.
I too, have spoken to the brewery and they are very helpful, with their recipes.
I never had much joy harvesting their yeast. I harvested the yeast fine, just didnt taste right. Because of the size of the brewery, I dont think that they use "their own" yeast. JMHO its probably a neutral, hop forward strain (US-05 maybe).
If you live in that area, you will be using the same water (Burrator).
Just re-read my post and I offer no help at all..
Try to get hold of a "Big Job"...excellent beer, not for the faint hearted or those of a nervous disposition.
Weve got 3 days booked at their hotel May 2019

johnnyboy1965
Steady Drinker

Post by johnnyboy1965 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Have a look at:-
23li
Maris Otter x 6000g
Torrified Wheat x 300g
Crystal 120 x 100g

Chinook 16g @60mins
Williamette 16g @60mins

Williamette 11g @30 mins
Chinook 11g @ 30 mins
Cascade 11g @30 mins

Dry Hop/Flame out...Chinook 30g

Yeast...I still would be tempted to go with US-05

OG...1.055
FG....1.013
ABV 5.5%
IBU/EBU 50
SRM 6/ EBC 12

Hope this points you in the right direction

Bertie Doe
Steady Drinker

Post by Bertie Doe » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:00 pm

Thanks Johnny, my adjuncts are based on a SW Water Report which is now 10 years old. Both Burrator and the local Siblyback reservoirs were 50% down during this summer drought, so the water could come from anywhere, maybe Roadford. In short I need another up-to-date report. Like you, I prefer to add Torrified to my brews. Both the draught and bottled versions had good head retention but St.Austel didn't mention Wheat on the bottle's ingredients, which I guess they need to, for peeps with wheat intollerance. Hmm so how do they do it.
I notice that in Rich's two 2012 recipes, he uses 192g and 222g of hops for 55 and 56 EBUs. Being mean, I prefer your 95g for 50 EBUs. I'll probably stick to a commercial yeast for my first attempt.

Meatymc
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Meatymc » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:50 pm

johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:46 pm
I never had much joy harvesting their yeast. I harvested the yeast fine, just didnt taste right. Because of the size of the brewery, I dont think that they use "their own" yeast. JMHO its probably a neutral, hop forward strain (US-05 maybe).
Word on here was it is their own but not sure how recent that was. Can't disagree about your opinion on taste - I'd love to recreate an accurate version but not going to happen given our water profile and, of course, they may well have their own supply (like Theakstons and Black Sheep up here) and/or be treating it in some way. It's more the point that they bottle condition that I use it - tight-arsed Yorkshireman! We've plenty of excellent locally brewed ale - both mainstream and local craft outfits but none bottle condition.
johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Try to get hold of a "Big Job"...excellent beer, not for the faint hearted or those of a nervous disposition.
Cracking beer but not seen in these parts as yet - either on tap or in bottle. Been able to get a week down in Brixham for the last couple of years and BJ is always the go-to.
johnnyboy1965 wrote:
Weve got 3 days booked at their hotel May 2019
Lucky you!!

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:13 pm

Yeah it's their own, their yeast has a very distinct taste which is sort of sweet and vanilla-ery, it's really good, finishes around 1.010 in cask. Not sure there's anything like it on the dry market. Excellent beer and good of them to put that info out.

Bertie Doe
Steady Drinker

Post by Bertie Doe » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:51 am

I've got some Ringwood O.T. that needs to go into the Secondary on Sunday. This will free up the Primary, so I can start my next batch. I'll be getting the hops for the PJ on Saturday and will look at their 1L and 2L flasks for possible yeast extraction and culturing from commercial brews in the future. Big difference in price for the 2 sizes. Can I get away with the 1L as it will take the standard fermenter bung ?

My original intention was to brew one of the Theakston's Old Perculiar or (Paul Theakston) Riggwelter. This can be put on hold. However, in Roger Protz' book, in the section 'Old Ale' he mentions that Old Peculiar uses ".... the mixed strain house yeast, gives a pronounced softness of palate etc., etc." I know TOP is available in some supermarkets but has anyone tried extracting/culturing their yeasts? TIA.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 pm

There's a trend away from using the primary strain of yeast to a bottling yeast, which is designed to condition the Beer and then stick like the proverbial to the bottom of the bottle. Worth asking the question before piling in, could be very disappointing.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer