Hop Tea In Keg.

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
LeeH
Under the Table

Hop Tea In Keg.

Post by LeeH » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 am

I made a Simcoe and Citra APA, last time I dry hopped in the FV and again in the keg. It was a proper fruit bomb...lovely.

This time I just hopped the keg and it no where near the amount of aroma and flavour I want. I’m not shocked at this as it only got 25g of each so half of the total previous amount.

I have a new 1L French press that i would like to try a tea with but not sure the amount of liquid. Some of the online guides suggest 30-60g of hops to 1L of water which seems way too much to me.

Also some suggest boiling water and state no bitterness will be extracted as it’s not left steeping for long.

My gut feeling is telling me to reduce the water to a pint or less and steep under 80 for 30 mins.

Sanity check?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by LeeH on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

bigchris
Piss Artist

Re: Hop Tea In Keg.

Post by bigchris » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:10 pm

30 - 60g doesn't sound too wrong to me. But there are so many variables to get to that number. How much is in the keg, how much flavour is already there, what the hops are, how much flavour do you want, etc., etc.,

I keg my beers, about 25L in a king Keg. I've usually added some hops at the end of the boil and no hops in the FV. After a few days in the keg I'll taste it, if short on hop flavour then I'll do pretty much what you are suggesting. Commonly I will then use a hop-sock with around 50g of hops in it. I'l boil that briefly (perhaps just 1 minute) in enough water to cover it (around a litre) just to sterilise it all then put it all (the sock of hops and the tea) in the keg with the beer, usually adding around 100g of white sugar to re-prime the keg. Seems to work OK.

Chris

LeeH
Under the Table

Re: Hop Tea In Keg.

Post by LeeH » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Hi Chris, in the end just threw the pellets in the keg and it worked out perfectly.

Thanks for your concise reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel