Brunwater question

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
andyisavinit
Tippler

Brunwater question

Post by andyisavinit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 am

I just donated for brunwater so I could use the spread sheet for cms (ams) acid addition instead of lactic (as I have been doing before).

The spread sheet asks for the acid strength of cms (ams) as a %.

I can find out what i should enter in this box.

Anyone have a clue?

Eric
Even further under the Table

Re: Brunwater question

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:26 am

andyisavinit wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:00 am
I just donated for brunwater so I could use the spread sheet for cms (ams) acid addition instead of lactic (as I have been doing before).

The spread sheet asks for the acid strength of cms (ams) as a %.

I can find out what i should enter in this box.

Anyone have a clue?
CRS/AMS is an equi-normal mix of sulphuric and hydrochloric acids, so don't think it's possible to simply express it in terms of a single percentage. As it is available at only one strength, I would assume it won't matter what you enter for percentage, it should be ignored by the software.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

andyisavinit
Tippler

Post by andyisavinit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am

Ah ok. That makes sense. I'll compare the results to G Wheelers calculator or even message Martin.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:49 pm

andyisavinit wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am
Ah ok. That makes sense. I'll compare the results to G Wheelers calculator or even message Martin.
Your safest and most accurate route is the use a Salifert kit to measure alkalinty after treatment.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

chastuck
Hollow Legs

Post by chastuck » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:18 pm

The breakdown of CRS/AMS is as follows:
100ml CRS is:
• 79.2ml water
• 15.6ml hydrochloric acid,
• 5.2ml sulphuric acid
• giving 64.76 ppm Cl+ & 88.57 ppm SO4+ per 1ml/L

For comparison, the acid strength is approximately 20%. However, you do not have to enter this into Bru'n Water as the program automatically assigns standard values to CRS irrespective of what you enter into the 'Acid Strength' box.

andyisavinit
Tippler

Post by andyisavinit » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:25 am

[quote=chastuck post_id=840650 time=1547756328 user_id=10715]
The breakdown of CRS/AMS is as follows:
100ml CRS is:
• 79.2ml water
• 15.6ml hydrochloric acid,
• 5.2ml sulphuric acid
• giving 64.76 ppm Cl+ & 88.57 ppm SO4+ per 1ml/L

For comparison, the acid strength is approximately 20%. However, you do not have to enter this into Bru'n Water as the program automatically assigns standard values to CRS irrespective of what you enter into the 'Acid Strength' box.
[/quote]

That is excellent information - thank you.

Eric thanks also. Yeh I check with salifert before and after.

So have you had good results using the cms acid option in brunwater? I'm brewing this weekend and going to use the cms/ams option for the first time. I used to boil my water the night before and then use lactic (but am experimenting now with cms/ams)

london_lhr
Steady Drinker

Post by london_lhr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:22 pm

As you can see from the above information regarding CRS, it is sulphate biased.
If you want your water more chloride biased, it is probably better to use individual acids i.e. hydrochloric acid.
Depending on the beer I am brewing, I use either hydrochloric, sulphuric, lactic acids or CRS/AMS to treat my water.
Just something to keep in mind.
The Dengie

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:48 pm

andyisavinit wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:25 am

Eric thanks also. Yeh I check with salifert before and after.

So have you had good results using the cms acid option in brunwater? I'm brewing this weekend and going to use the cms/ams option for the first time. I used to boil my water the night before and then use lactic (but am experimenting now with cms/ams)

I don't use, won't use Bru'nwater, or any such software. A pencil and paper is quicker and doesn't warn me against using what for a hundred years and more made good beer.

Using CRS/AMS is a good starting point with a level of alkalinity in need of reduction, and using a Salifert kit will confirm what actually happened. I fear for many new brewers who start with a piece of software and assume all the figures and prediction are fact and base their assumptions upon potentially inaccurate data.

orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:13 am

The single most important factor in water treatment is reducing alkalinity to the optimum range, CRS will do that, but as mentioned already if you want to play with the "seasoning", aka ions, then using acids and salts is the only way you can properly manipulate them. If you ignore the "mash pH prediction" part of BW and as Eric says, the "warnings" about British levels of minerals it is possible to use BW to achieve your aims, it's just very confusing when a British brewer is starting out with water treatment and is forced to adopt brewing techniques influenced by 19th C German brewers. :?
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer