Exmoor Gold & Styrian hop advice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
stu6363
Sober

Exmoor Gold & Styrian hop advice

Post by stu6363 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:10 am

Hi

I only have about 10 AG brews under my belt of which only a couple were any good for various reasons. I've picked Graham Wheelers Exmoor Gold recipe as my next brew and have all the ingredients being delivered today.

The hops in the recipe are Challenger at 60m Goldings at 10m and Styrian Goldings at 0m. I got a bit confused when ordering the Styrian Goldings... not realising that there were 3 different ones listed, Bobek Celeia & Savinjski. I oredered Celeia but after doing a bit more reading it seems like savinjski would probably be the Styrian Golding used in Graham Wheelers recipe.

Having no Idea about Celeia could anyone give any opinions if these will work in this recipe?

I do have some Fuggles if these might be better.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Re: Exmoor Gold & Styrian hop advice

Post by Kingfisher4 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:30 pm

This is a favourite recipe of a friend who has brewed it with different versions of the Styrian Golding (which are indeed confusing); he couldn't tell an appreciable difference. I have brewed a variant of his TT Landlord several times, with 2 different sorts of Styrian Goldings and couldn't appreciate the difference despite much larger quantities than the Exmoor Gold recipe.

The quantity in GW Exmoor Gold recipe is tiny anyway (10gm post boil for 25 litres) so don't worry and have confidence in the Celia!

P.S. If you like Golden Ales try his Summer Lightning, it's an easy recipe and consistently good.

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 pm

The 3 varieties used to be bundled together for export and sold as Styrian Golding until they were fairly recently separated. All 3 are “same but different” so don’t sweat it - like Kingfisher 4 says it’s a small amount anyway. Our best selling pale uses 2.5g/L of bobek at flame out to around 4 ibu, i would suggest a hopping rate closer to that as it’s not intense or hoppy at all, just nice and balanced.

alfie09
Tippler

Post by alfie09 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:15 pm

Celia 🤤

Clibit
Under the Table

Post by Clibit » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 am

The choice of yeast will be more important than the choice of Styrians.

alfie09
Tippler

Post by alfie09 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 am

What yeast would you use. Some of the liquid yeast seem dear 😳

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:17 pm

alfie09 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:06 am
What yeast would you use. Some of the liquid yeast seem dear 😳
The initial cost may be high, but so can be the rewards and by harvesting yeast for future brews, the overall costs reduce. Yesterday I harvested one for the 12th time, having used some wort from that brew earlier in the week to grow a starter from a bottle of an older brew using a different yeast. In time you find favourites that work with your equipment and methods as well as suiting your taste.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

alfie09
Tippler

Post by alfie09 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:20 pm

Couldn’t I just dump another fresh brew ontop of another once kegged/bottled

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:01 pm

alfie09 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:20 pm
Couldn’t I just dump another fresh brew ontop of another once kegged/bottled
You could, but there are better ways. I've done it myself, once, I think, for a high alcohol brew that needed a lot of yeast. That also meant those yeast being subjected to severe conditions that would damage them to a point where it would be unproductive to harvest any further. As a consequence a small sample was harvested for future use and the rest dumped afterwards.

Depending how well wort is filtered, unwanted debris (trub) as well as dead yeast will be in the slurry after fermentation and if not handled properly can become the majority. The yeast I harvested was top cropped and is sufficient to pitch into a similar sized brew if done within a week.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

stu6363
Sober

Post by stu6363 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks all for your advice. I won't sweet the hops too much, I've just not had much AG success so trying hard to get it right.

Summer lightning is on my list, I keep seeing it pop up on the forum and the comments are always good :)

As far as yeast I'm going down the dried route with some mangrove jacks liberty bell. Liquid yeast one day but need to nail down other aspects of my process first

darrellm
Tippler

Post by darrellm » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:57 pm

Use your Celeia, that's what I use.

You should get a good brew - I've made this one many times and it's consistently good, a real favourite.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:25 pm

stu6363 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:21 pm
Thanks all for your advice. I won't sweet the hops too much, I've just not had much AG success so trying hard to get it right.

Summer lightning is on my list, I keep seeing it pop up on the forum and the comments are always good :)

As far as yeast I'm going down the dried route with some mangrove jacks liberty bell. Liquid yeast one day but need to nail down other aspects of my process first
Liberty Bell is my favourite dry yeast so far. I often use 2 sachets if OG 1.050 or more, as I also aim for 25 litres in FV.
As a relative newbie too, consistent temperature control also makes a huge difference.
Good luck.