Beer temperature Finings

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Beer temperature Finings

Post by tourer » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Greetings all, i always use Gelatin fining's in the secondary but i'm unsure what temperature the beer should be when adding the Gelatin. the beer is normally 19c in the fridge i then drop it to 1c after adding the fining's. Anyone have any idea's on the best temperature the beer should be to pitch the fining's.
Thanks

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Re: Beer temperature Finings

Post by Kev888 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:54 am

The beer would ideally be cold. Cold enough to cause chill haze to form so that the geltin can get at this more easily. Additionally, the colder it is the faster things fall out with or without gelatin, and the rate increases as you get lower. So as close to 0c as you can get it really, though without it actually freezing.
Kev

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:44 am

There are two separate actions. Chillng stops fermentation a precipitates protiens. Whereas gelatine attracts and traps particles by opposite polarity and does not require chilling for this to take place.
So the answer to your question is that the gelatine can be added at 20° and left at that temperature to work.
In practice I add the gelatine at 20° and let it stand for 24 hours and then chill before kegging/bottling.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:40 am

Is there any any particular reason for waiting until after the gelatin to chill? TBH I've always found chilling to help at both stages, but I appreciate there might well be other considerations.
Kev

tourer
Hollow Legs
Location: spitting distance of the Beacon hotel, home of Ruby red

Post by tourer » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:55 pm

So it seems that my present practice is OK or not that bad to cause problems. I've been using this method for a long time and always think should i chill down first. Anyway I've just been up the shed and upped the temperature as want to bottle tomorrow and will be adding the priming sugar.
Thanks for your input