Can anyone recommend a decent digital thermometer?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:36 pm

I'm after a thermometer to monitor my mash tun temp through mashing.

I have had 2 digital thermometers with wired probes (the type that are sold for BBQs and ovens) - they have worked well for a few sessions but then packed in (I suspect due to moisture ingress into the probe - even though they are sold as waterproof).

I'm after something with a cabled probe that I can move about and bury in the mash.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers

BB

vacant
Even further under the Table

Re: Can anyone recommend a decent digital thermometer?

Post by vacant » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 pm

I had a short-lived wire probe. Gave up.

I've used one of these for years. It refuses to die. Why not buy a couple and keep one as a spare. If you want to leave it in the mash, maybe tape it in some plastic to make it moisture-proof and stick it through a cork? I don't leave mine in the tun but it's had a good few soakings without any harm coming to it.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 am

I use one of these. Really good value and have a high and low temperature alarm built in so ideal for mashing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-function ... 233&sr=8-9
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

dbambrick996
Piss Artist

Post by dbambrick996 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:46 am

You could use an stc 1000

a-slayer
Hollow Legs

Post by a-slayer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am

I have used one of these for several years with no problems, helps by being waterproof.
https://www.comarkinstruments.net/produ ... ermometer/

brewbrew
Steady Drinker

Post by brewbrew » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:39 am

Thanks for the Comark suggestion - I had forgotten about them (I used to work in a microbiology research lab and I recall using their stuff which was excellent).

I notice that they have a dishwasher thermometer too - looks interesting and must be super water-proof in a hot environment. I might go for that one.
https://www.comarkinstruments.net/produ ... ermometer/

If anyone is interested, I have found one of these useful to look at temp profiles after a mash https://www.elitech.uk.com/temperature_ ... r_248.html

I heat seal it in a plastic bag and drop it in the mash. It is no use for checking or controlling - it just tells you how good a job you have done at the end of brew day.

Thanks for everyone's valued input and help.

Cheers.

JonA
Tippler

Post by JonA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:38 pm

Thermapen for me. Wife bought it as a birthday present ages ago and I've used it ever since. Seems really well made.
https://thermapen.co.uk

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:19 pm

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2681268340

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:04 pm

The Thermapen is awesome. Fast, accurate.

But I will say that I don't think that basic version is well designed for brewing. If you dip any part of the pivoting hinge in liquid, the contacts inside will corrode and you'll find it won't turn on when opened.

The pro version is much better in this regard. It's well sealed and has a backlight amongst other things.

For a hobby where temperature is critical it's a great first 'luxury' tool to get.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

LeeH
Under the Table

Post by LeeH » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:15 pm

My classic is a few years old now and working fine, but I do take very good care of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sabro Single Hop NEIPA 25/02/20 CLICK ME to monitor progress with Brewfather & iSpindel

MTW
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by MTW » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:36 pm

Jocky wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:04 pm
The Thermapen is awesome. Fast, accurate.

But I will say that I don't think that basic version is well designed for brewing. If you dip any part of the pivoting hinge in liquid, the contacts inside will corrode and you'll find it won't turn on when opened.

The pro version is much better in this regard. It's well sealed and has a backlight amongst other things.

For a hobby where temperature is critical it's a great first 'luxury' tool to get.
I spray contact cleaner into the hinge periodically, and it loosens it up. I have had mine fail to come on when opened, but this sorts it.
Busy in the Summer House Brewery

Robwalkeragain
Hollow Legs

Post by Robwalkeragain » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:29 pm

ETI are a great reasonably cheap manufacturer. Therma 5 is £40 on amazon. Otherwise i would echo the thermapen although it’s a different style.