Grainfather increasing batch size

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
CaptAwol
Tippler

Grainfather increasing batch size

Post by CaptAwol » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:59 am

I've been successfully brewing a really tasty light hoppy session beer with the grainfather for a while, I try to brew whenever the opportunity arises but its not enough so I'm considering brewing larger batches on a brew day.
Before splashing out on a bigger system I am intending to try brewing a high volume batch and dilute it down in the fermenter's.
I have calculated the amount of grains and water to use for mash, sparge /dilution which is fairly easy, I intend to aim for an OG of 1.078 and dilute down to 1.040
My only concern will be the quality which mainly relies on the hop flavours, presently I add bittering hops at the start of the boil then after the boil recirculate through a hoprocket for the aroma hops.
Any tips or advice on this?

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Re: Grainfather increasing batch size

Post by gr_baker » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm

I have done this a while back before I had a grainfather so your experience may vary. It does work well as a technique but you may experience slightly lower mash efficiency and lower hop utilisation. Whether you want to compensate by adding a little extra grain and hops is up to you. I didn't bother as I was making a session beer and a slightly weaker brew was fine.

CaptAwol
Tippler

Re: Grainfather increasing batch size

Post by CaptAwol » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:56 pm

gr_baker wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:10 pm
I have done this a while back before I had a grainfather so your experience may vary. It does work well as a technique but you may experience slightly lower mash efficiency and lower hop utilisation. Whether you want to compensate by adding a little extra grain and hops is up to you. I didn't bother as I was making a session beer and a slightly weaker brew was fine.
Thanks, I'm not to bothered about a reduction in strength either as it is a session beer, I guess I am looking at how much I'll need to increase the hops or figure out a way to better way to utilise them.