Off Taste Problem

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
BertieBassett
Sober

Re: Off Taste Problem

Post by BertieBassett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:54 pm

[quote=Kev888 post_id=845951 time=1569862128 user_id=5506]
Hmm, only happening with pale beers would make it far less likely to be an infection (unless perhaps the pale ones you make are simply more subtle, allowing the unwanted flavour through more). So I'll probably change my mind there.

There aren't all that many differences in process between light and dark beers, so of the things that do differ I agree the water has to be worth checking out as Eric says. Are you using the water as it is, or does it get treated in any way?
[/quote]

i have been adjusting water with the help of the water calculator on brewers friend, however this now seems that the profile was wrong as i assumed that i had the same water source has home. my new water profile is alot harder and more alkaline.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:07 pm

Ah interesting, if the treatment was inappropriate then (at least in potential) it may have taken any existing water issues beyond what is common. Hardness can be helpful but of course excess alkalinity isn't and/or some additions can adversely skew chloride and sulphate levels.
Kev

BertieBassett
Sober

Post by BertieBassett » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:12 pm

Right i have come to a conclusion after just sampling another brew i did before my deep clean, which tastes awful and in now going to clean the drains :( , if my beer is getting infected, it must be getting infected somewhere between the kettle end off boil and bottling as the whole bottled batch tastes bad, not just the odd bottle.

So i have and will continue to strip and clear taps on kettle, i have bleached and scrubbed all my fermenters, brought new silicone hoses.

i don't tend to put my beer into secondary which eliminates that, beer usually tastes and smells fine when it goes into the bottling bucket. so i'm thinking there might be the problem! i will investigate and let you know