Wadworth 6X - yeast

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
M3Brewery
Sober

Wadworth 6X - yeast

Post by M3Brewery » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Hello All,

Would like to brew Wadworth 6X as close as possible to the original.
I'm using a recipe from Real Ales for the Home Brewer, Marc Ollossen. However there is no mention of yeast to use.

Looking around on forums, there seems to be a preference for White Labs; WLP002 English Ale. Has anyone tried this?

I've also seen the WLP005 and WLP007 which has a high attenuation, suitable for the recipe's 1.007 FG.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Re: Wadworth 6X - yeast

Post by Rookie » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:48 pm

I'd go with 007. 002 has a tendency to drop out quickly leaving FG a bit higher than 1.007.
I'm just here for the beer.

Dennis King
Telling everyone Your My Best Mate

Post by Dennis King » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:15 pm

I have brewed Graham Wheelers recipe using 002 many years ago and I do remember it coming out very well.

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:54 pm

WLP002 is my favourite (commonly available) yeast type for many British styles; nice flavour, reliable, clears well and with care doesn't attenuate too much. You can control its attenuation fairly widely with mash temperature too, so i'm sure it could be a good choice with the right approach. WLP007 is also good, sharing many of the benefits of WLP002, though with more attenuation which may be warranted in this instance.

That said, I was surprised at the FG being so low as 1.007, so looked up another example: my copy of Graham Wheeler's BYOBRA has it at 1.009 which seems more reasonable, though still slightly less than I expected. I also notice it has a bit of sugar in the recipe, which both yeast varieties will gobble similarly easily, and there aren't many difficult/dark grains. So IMO either yeast type could work, if the mash was tailored accordingly.

FWIW my personal choice would definitely be WLP002 and a modestly cool mash temperature, though I would be prepared for (and perhaps even hope for) a slightly higher FG. But WLP007 should also work well, and probably stands more chance of reaching the recipe's expected numbers.
Kev

Rookie
Falling off the Barstool

Post by Rookie » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:03 pm

002 can be made to ferment to a lower FG by rousing it.
I'm just here for the beer.

Brewdaze
Sober

Post by Brewdaze » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:21 pm

@ M3Brewery- attempting a Wadworth JCB next week. I'm interested in the choice of yeast to get reasonably close to the original so keen to hear how your 6x turns out. Presume choice of yeast is going to be similar for both Ales.
Currently have in my stockpile Wyeast 1318 London III Yeast and WLP 002 so will likely go for one of those. I Have US-04 and Nottingham which I keep in just in case but think these may give too low a FG for the style? A long shot but does anyone know the water profile for Wadsworth?
(Just working through Graham Wheelers Brew Your Own.. and always interested to hear of any yeast recommendations for the Bitter and Pale Ale recipes)