First Stout Advice

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
orlando
So far gone I'm on the way back again!
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Re: First Stout Advice

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:05 pm

Eric wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:19 pm
If runnings were 1020 beyond a full length sparge, there must have been a significant quantity of sugars still in the grains and at this stage you should ignor the astringency you found.
I interpreted that as meaning 1.020 after finishing sparging i.e. full boil volume SG, prompted by the comment on boiling, i.e. trying to get to the SG from 1.020 by reducing the wort. Is that what you meant Eric? If I'm right then the issue is in the mash and I wondered if he had enough % of base malt to convert the rest. I agree with you that pH isn't the issue. If you're right, finishing sparge too soon, then the answer is simple, keep sparging until you reach preboil OG, as long as the last runnings don't rise above pH 6.
I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Drinking: Southwold Again,

Up Next: John Barleycorn (Barley Wine)
Planning: Winter drinking Beer

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:39 pm

dave_h wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:38 am

I had some problems with the brew, for some reason my pre boil gravity was very low, I dont have my notes with me but think it was around 1032 instead of 1041), I am guessing I had a problem with the ph.

To get around it I sparged more than I was planning, I didnt have a ph probe so I just kept an eye on the gravity and I think I stopped around 1020. Then I boiled the hell out of it for a long time.

The beer came out quite well, there was a slight astringent taste to it (which I seem to get in some ales), this might also be due to the heavy use of sparging or maybe a bit of the grains?

The beer was a little on the thin side, I would have liked a bit more mouthfeel and a bit more flavor.

But I was very happy with the 1st batch, time for batch 2 soon....
The mash Orlando, what makes you say that? I could understand that if the grains were not well mixed and the mash was on the short side, but surely if there was so much wort that Dave "boiled the hell out of it for a long time" he must have stopped because of the excess volume. As last runnings were 1020, there was still sugar in the mas tun. I don't let runnings go above pH 5.6.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

orlando
Location: North Norfolk: Nearest breweries All Day Brewery, Salle. Panther, Reepham. Yetman's, Holt

Post by orlando » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:29 pm

Missed the comment on 1.032 instead of 1.042. Leaving at least 10 points behind in the grains is the reason for the gap, so yes, sparging is the issue here. Sparge slower and maybe longer and he may be OK. Astringency is another issue. Don't think he mentions the actual mash pH, that might provide the further clue to that.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

dave_h
Tippler

Post by dave_h » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:47 am

Unfortunately I didnt have a ph probe then so I am unsure on the ph.

I mash in a cooler for 60mins then drain and sparge (give a very good stir), however I am probably draining the sparge too quickly, maybe only leaving it for 10mins?

orlando

Post by orlando » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:40 am

dave_h wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:47 am
I am probably draining the sparge too quickly, maybe only leaving it for 10mins?

That would be it. Slow this down, taking more like 45 minutes to an hour would improve extraction, regaining the 9 points you lost from your target pre boil gravity.

Fermenting:
Conditioning:

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:12 pm

orlando wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:40 am
dave_h wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:47 am
I am probably draining the sparge too quickly, maybe only leaving it for 10mins?

That would be it. Slow this down, taking more like 45 minutes to an hour would improve extraction, regaining the 9 points you lost from your target pre boil gravity.
Completely agree Orlando.

A pH meter is probably not the most valuable piece of equipment at this stage. All well and good if you have lots of spare cash and want to be fully armed for every event, but for this problem your beer will benefit most if you can give more time. Sparging more slowly while monitoring extraction will, I believe, solve your present difficulties. Monitoring using a refractometer is easy and quick.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.