Fresh & Unfined (?)

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
yashicamat
Under the Table

Fresh & Unfined (?)

Post by yashicamat » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:36 pm

I brewed a beer last weekend for Christmas . . . not exactly a typical style, but one that suits the drinkers; a 4.5% pale ale with 200g of hops in it (Citra and Chinook). Lovely. Anyway, my plan is to drop it into a corny on Sunday, 20psi, should be good for Christmas Eve. I'm not bothered about perfect clarity but what I do have a question about is whether to try and fine out the yeast (and possibly lose some hop flavour too) or rack it cloudy and hope that excessive yeast consumption doesn't affect anyone?! The yeast is US05 so it's hardly a fast dropping yeast and with all the hops (and 10% wheat in the grain bill) it's not likely to be crystal clear no matter what I do with it.

My preference is just rack as it is as that's likely to maintain the most hop flavour, I just don't want to introduce a yeasty taste and/or side effects!

Cheers

P.S. sampled (quality control obviously) last night from the FV and it was stunning so I can't wait to drink this one!
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Re: Fresh & Unfined (?)

Post by Dave S » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:09 pm

yashicamat wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:36 pm
I brewed a beer last weekend for Christmas . . . not exactly a typical style, but one that suits the drinkers; a 4.5% pale ale with 200g of hops in it (Citra and Chinook). Lovely. Anyway, my plan is to drop it into a corny on Sunday, 20psi, should be good for Christmas Eve. I'm not bothered about perfect clarity but what I do have a question about is whether to try and fine out the yeast (and possibly lose some hop flavour too) or rack it cloudy and hope that excessive yeast consumption doesn't affect anyone?! The yeast is US05 so it's hardly a fast dropping yeast and with all the hops (and 10% wheat in the grain bill) it's not likely to be crystal clear no matter what I do with it.

My preference is just rack as it is as that's likely to maintain the most hop flavour, I just don't want to introduce a yeasty taste and/or side effects!

Cheers

P.S. sampled (quality control obviously) last night from the FV and it was stunning so I can't wait to drink this one!
If its fermented at or close to FG you should be fine, though you are sailing close to the wire with only two days in keg. TBH, I can't really see it being sufficiently conditioned in two days. Hope it drinks OK.
Best wishes

Dave

yashicamat
Under the Table

Re: Fresh & Unfined (?)

Post by yashicamat » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Ta. I don't have concerns with it getting to FG, just more the yeast in suspension. It'll condition adequately - force carbonated at 20psi and given a good shake. I don't want it fizzy, just a slight condition.
Rob

POTTER BREWERY (mothballed 2020)

Fermenting: nowt (sadly). Drinking: still a few bottles of my imperial stout knocking about . . . it's rather good now