Epson Salts - black pepper?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
JamesH
Sober

Epson Salts - black pepper?

Post by JamesH » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:05 pm

Hi,

I was treating my water for tomorrow's brew earlier. It is the first time that I have used Epsom Salts but, on adding them, I realised that the Epsom Salts I had bought contained black pepper (link below):

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /295361368

I will be brewing a strong mild (around 5.5%). At first I thought I would chuck the water away and start again but then I thought it might not actually taste too bad.

Any views on here?

Cheers,

James.

rpruen
Steady Drinker

Re: Epson Salts - black pepper?

Post by rpruen » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:17 pm

JamesH wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:05 pm
Hi,

I was treating my water for tomorrow's brew earlier. It is the first time that I have used Epsom Salts but, on adding them, I realised that the Epsom Salts I had bought contained black pepper (link below):

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /295361368

I will be brewing a strong mild (around 5.5%). At first I thought I would chuck the water away and start again but then I thought it might not actually taste too bad.

Any views on here?
Yes throw the water out and try again using a food grade Epsom Salt. Your epsom salt has linolol, perfume, and black pepper.

Who knows if it is food grade, and if not might have other contaminants. I'd not let that anywhere neer my beer!

Regards

Richard

JamesH
Sober

Post by JamesH » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:25 pm

Cheers Richard,

Will do.

James.

vacant
Even further under the Table

Post by vacant » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:21 pm

Funnily enough I noticed B&M's when I was in there yesterday. It says "nothing added" and is £2/Kg. It is pharmaceutical grade.
I brew therefore I ... I .... forget

brewpete
Piss Artist

Post by brewpete » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:52 pm

While on this sort of subject was in Aldi today and they are doing there own oxy cleaner big tub 3 pounds I think

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:26 am

rpruen wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:17 pm
Your epsom salt has linolol, perfume, and black pepper.
The only concern would be the perfume, which probably wouldn't survive the boil.

Linalool is a major component of hops such as Bravo (and also eg coriander), and eg Fuller's add black pepper to some of their speciality beers because again it shares a lot of flavours with hops.

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:33 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:26 am
rpruen wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:17 pm
Your epsom salt has linolol, perfume, and black pepper.
The only concern would be the perfume, which probably wouldn't survive the boil.

Linalool is a major component of hops such as Bravo (and also eg coriander), and eg Fuller's add black pepper to some of their speciality beers because again it shares a lot of flavours with hops.
Useful and sensible information. However, as Epsom salts at pharmaceutical or foodgrade are so cheap from many sources, I would play safe and use pure Epsom salts.

Marshbrewer
Piss Artist

Post by Marshbrewer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:04 pm

Agreed. As has been mentioned, the plain (non perfumed) Epson salts that B&M, etc, sell by the kg states it's good grade, and is only a few quid a kilo.

https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/wes ... 1kg-301704

Dave S
Even further under the Table

Post by Dave S » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:22 am

On the other hand there is (almost) no need to add Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate) at all. Only about 5ppm is required in a brew and most water supplies along with what's in the grain, (or malt extract) more than meets that requirement.
Best wishes

Dave

Kev888
So far gone I'm on the way back again!

Post by Kev888 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:32 am

Yes agreed Dave, unless there are any special circumstances for more, which don't immediately come to mind. Personally I only add a few ppm and even that is just making doubly sure, as there will likely already be enough. Magnesium Sulphate works out very cheaply in those quantities, even for food grade stuff.

In those quantities at least, the perfume 'probably' wouldn't have been an issue, but better safe than sorry if it is of unknown composition. So I too would have prepared fresh liquor, just to remove any doubt at all; it isn't especially wasteful at that early stage in the process. Though wort may not have been such an easy decision..
Kev