Strange behaviour of Isinglass finings

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
guypettigrew
Even further under the Table

Strange behaviour of Isinglass finings

Post by guypettigrew » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:18 am

For years now I've used Isinglass finings in my beer. A couple of days ago I made up a 300ml batch in the usual way; 1.8g of the dried finings in 300ml RO water, mixed in a blender. The solution then went into a jug and into the 'fridge.

This morning I went to pour the finings from the jug into the bottle used to store it. The solution had increased in volume and semi set. It had to be stirred well before it would pour out of the jug.

Anyone have any idea what may have happened, and will it be useless for fining?

Thanks.

Guy

McMullan

Re: Strange behaviour of Isinglass finings

Post by McMullan » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:31 pm

I haven't noticed that before, but I prep it more dilute than instructions recommend and mix it overnight on a stir plate. Are you sure it was 1.8g? Check the batteries in your weighing scales?

Jocky
Even further under the Table

Post by Jocky » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:32 pm

Sounds like an overdose. The fining in Isinglass is collagen (same as gelatin), which can be used as a thickener at a moderate dose or make jelly at a higher dose.

I think its fining properties will have been reduced, but probably not entirely removed.
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.

FUBAR
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by FUBAR » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:26 am

guypettigrew wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:18 am
For years now I've used Isinglass finings in my beer. A couple of days ago I made up a 300ml batch in the usual way; 1.8g of the dried finings in 300ml RO water, mixed in a blender. The solution then went into a jug and into the 'fridge.

This morning I went to pour the finings from the jug into the bottle used to store it. The solution had increased in volume and semi set. It had to be stirred well before it would pour out of the jug.

Anyone have any idea what may have happened, and will it be useless for fining?

Thanks.

Guy
It's a pity the malt miller does not mention storage temperature of the dried product ! .
I buy my grain & hops from here http://www.homebrewkent.co.uk/

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me - Winston Churchill