Shortage of malt?

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
mooncat
Tippler

Shortage of malt?

Post by mooncat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:27 am

I usually buy my pale malt in uncrushed 25kg sacks. I have tried all my usual suppliers and they are all out of stock though I can get 5kg bags. Anyone else come across this or am I just unfortunate? Surely not panic buying!

Rhodesy
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Re: Shortage of malt?

Post by Rhodesy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:21 am

I put in an order last week with the Malt Miller and got 30KG (25kg MO and 5kg Vienna), lots of hops and some bits and bobs no problem. I tend to buy in these days to save going back and forward incurring courier costs every few weeks.

I see the MM is out of some varieties but still some sacks of base malt available. Not checked other suppliers

**Update** - The MM have updated their site and due to demand their delivery may be staggered and not the usual 24 hours if ordered before 12PM. Never seen that with them before, even at Christmas so suspect alot more will be out of stock soon.

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:56 am

Just checked my inventory and I think I have enough malt, hops and yeast to enable me to make 3-4 brews. So I should be OK for a few months.

Unless I increase my consumption to cope with being isolated with wife, two terriers and two young adults supposedly attending online University lectures...

Stay safe and keep washing your hands, guys!

Cobnut
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:04 pm

By sheer good fortune, I currently have around 100kg of various uncrushed malt in stock as well as the hoos and yeast to make pretty much every batch I am planning this year..

Maybe we should do an isolation brew-along based on some really simple recipes that people can oull together? Covid SMaSH?

Matt

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:46 pm

mooncat wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:27 am
I usually buy my pale malt in uncrushed 25kg sacks. I have tried all my usual suppliers and they are all out of stock though I can get 5kg bags. Anyone else come across this or am I just unfortunate? Surely not panic buying!
Try this at £21.77 for 25 kilos

https://www.braumarkt.com/en/swaen-dutch-pale-ale-25-kg

Shipping to England is £8

Where else can you buy 25 kg of malt for less than £30 including transport ?
Ideal for you because you crush your own malt
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:59 pm

IPA wrote:
mooncat wrote:

I have 2 sacks of this one in stock right now. I have been delighted with Swaen malt and mainly use their product.

Braumarkt are decent people to deal with too, and I pop in when passing on my travels. Image

Matt

Cobnut
Drunk as a Skunk

Post by Cobnut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Digby wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:04 pm
Maybe we should do an isolation brew-along based on some really simple recipes that people can oull together? Covid SMaSH?
I think I might see what I can make with my 20Kg or so or base malts plus a variety of speciality malts.

Maybe something dark and doom-laden?
Fermenting: nowt
Conditioning: English IPA/Bretted English IPA
Drinking: Sunshine Marmalade, Festbier, Helles Bock, Smokey lagery beer, Irish Export StoutCascade APA (homegrown hops), Orval clone, Impy stout, Duvel clone, Conestoga (American Barley wine)
Planning: Dark Mild, Kozel dark (ish), Simmonds Bitter, Bitter, Citra PA and more!

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:23 pm

IPA wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:46 pm
Almost any local brewery - who will really be feeling the pinch at the moment, and will probably have a whole load of malt/hops that they won't be brewing with in the near future because the pubs are shut. £20 on a sack of malt will help their cashflow just as much as buying beer from them. Please - I'm sure in the past they've helped the local homebrew scene out with competition prizes, visits etc, help them now when they really, really need it.

Generally - I imagine the online shops will be a bit swamped but homebrew is a tiny part of the overall beer ecosystem so I imagine that in the medium term the big maltsters will be more than happy to sell as much as they can of the malt that would normally be going into pub beer.

Also looking hopeful for the new season of antipodean hops....

Digby
Piss Artist

Post by Digby » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
IPA wrote:
Almost any local brewery - who will really be feeling the pinch at the moment, and will probably have a whole load of malt/hops that they won't be brewing with in the near future because the pubs are shut. £20 on a sack of malt will help their cashflow just as much as buying beer from them. Please - I'm sure in the past they've helped the local homebrew scene out with competition prizes, visits etc, help them now when they really, really need it.

Generally - I imagine the online shops will be a bit swamped but homebrew is a tiny part of the overall beer ecosystem so I imagine that in the medium term the big maltsters will be more than happy to sell as much as they can of the malt that would normally be going into pub beer.

Very good point. I am buying beer from some amazing breweries in the coming days as I want them to still be there in a few months.

My local pub is selling takeaway / delivery meals to keep some cash flowing and I will be supporting them. Not because I need to, but again because I want to support them to still be there.

Not everyone has the financial or job security to do what I am doing, and I totally get that. I consider myself lucky to be able to help just a little.

Matt

Kingfisher4
Hollow Legs

Post by Kingfisher4 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:13 pm

Northern Brewer wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:23 pm
IPA wrote:

I did just that for the first time a few weeks ago (pre Covid-19) from my nearest micro brewery. They have weathered 15 years but the next few months will be tough. I will certainly revisit them when this sack is dented in the next few weeks..

Eric
Even further under the Table

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 pm

IPA wrote:
mooncat wrote:

Not any more. Since today's confirmation that Britain will leave the EU this ear regardless of any health problems, the pound has dropped significantly and is now near parity.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Eric wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 pm
IPA wrote:
mooncat wrote:

Not any more. Since today's confirmation that Britain will leave the EU this year regardless of any health problems, the pound has dropped significantly and is now near parity.
Without patience, life becomes difficult and the sooner it's finished, the better.

richard080561
Piss Artist

Post by richard080561 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:20 pm

I was speaking to BrewUK today. I was told there is no shortage of malt. In fact, as the big breweries cut back on production because pubs are selling less they expect there to be a glut of malt and prices will drop.
Richard M
Cardiff

IPA
Under the Table

Post by IPA » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:37 am

Eric wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:57 pm
Eric wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:54 pm
IPA wrote:

Not any more. Since today's confirmation that Britain will leave the EU this year regardless of any health problems, the pound has dropped significantly and is now near parity.

The prices that I quoted are on an exchange rate of £1= 1.1€ . Even at parity this much cheaper than English suppliers.
For example. On tuesday morning I ordered 55 kilos of malt plus some hops and yeast. It is arriving today and the shipping cost is 8.95 euros. This transport cost would be the same to England. The big difference will come after Brexit.
DPD charge an additional customs fee of £15 on deliveries to non EU countries. This applies no matter what the size of parcel. This is just one more example of something they didn't say on the side of the bus.
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin

1. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip

It's better to lose time with friends than to lose friends with time (Portuguese proverb)

Alone we travel faster
Together we travel further
( In an admonishing email from our golf club)

Jocky

Post by Jocky » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:44 am

richard080561 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:20 pm
I was speaking to BrewUK today. I was told there is no shortage of malt. In fact, as the big breweries cut back on production because pubs are selling less they expect there to be a glut of malt and prices will drop.
This seems to be confirmed by the Malt Miller.

It sounds like they ran out of Maris Otter and some other malts yesterday, but have already got a new delivery today. As I understand it the maltsters were keen to know what else they needed as breweries have reduced demand immediately, but the maltsters have 10 days of malt in their pipeline.

I can see a bunch of hops coming into the market too...
Ingredients: Water, Barley, Hops, Yeast, Seaweed, Blood, Sweat, The swim bladder of a sturgeon, My enemies tears, Scenes of mild peril, An otter's handbag and Riboflavin.