Brewing plans while stuck at home

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Re: Brewing plans while stuck at home

Post by Fuggled Mind » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm

Kingfisher4 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:52 pm
Cheers Jason,
I knew it wasn't my original idea and there it is in my copy of that excellent book too. Might be subliminal influence, but would love to know if others use it, though doubt we will have scientific proof either way. As you say, unlikely to spoil anything so may try sometime.

Their Nussdorf St Thomas recipe ready to start on Friday after recommendations on here.
The Nussdorf St Thomas was highly recommended on a thread about favourite Graham Wheeler recipes. I bought the book to brew this and the Zum Uerige Alt. Unfortunately, every time I buy Vienna, I use it up in milds, porters and stouts as a substitute for mild malt which I can't get in Switzerland. I'd buy more but I really want to use this time to clear out older malts. My last three brews all had amber malt in them. I found it very challenging at first but I've grown to like it.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

CestrIan
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Post by CestrIan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:25 am

Fuggled Mind wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm
The Nussdorf St Thomas was highly recommended on a thread about favourite Graham Wheeler recipes. I bought the book to brew this and the Zum Uerige Alt. Unfortunately, every time I buy Vienna, I use it up in milds, porters and stouts as a substitute for mild malt which I can't get in Switzerland. I'd buy more but I really want to use this time to clear out older malts. My last three brews all had amber malt in them. I found it very challenging at first but I've grown to like it.
Hi Jason I am partial to the odd amber dark ale, but I find beers with amber malt need a month or two to mellow out. Especially anything more than 200g in a 23L brew.
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:47 pm

CestrIan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:25 am
Hi Jason I am partial to the odd amber dark ale, but I find beers with amber malt need a month or two to mellow out. Especially anything more than 200g in a 23L brew.
Right now I'm drinking a 1947 Barclay Perkins XX (From Ron Pattinson's Shut up about Barcley Parkins blog). It uses a whopping 15% invert no 3 and 4.5% amber. It's only 3.3% and it's pretty watery but the amber malt really punches above it's weight. It's not lacking in flavour at all. Like you say, the flavour has been changing as it matures. There's a bit more amber left and I'm wondering whether to try and brew a Fuller's London Porter replacing the brown with amber and the chocolate with roast barley but I reckon that's two strong malts and it might be a beer too far :lol:

Tomorrow I'm going to brew the Cameron's Strong Arm mentioned at the start of this thread. It's been a while since I brewed a bitter.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Tarmac
Steady Drinker

Post by Tarmac » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:59 pm

Wilkos still have kits.

25kg sack of extra pale malt 👍 from Mr M Miller.

All C Virus brews are called Sanitizer. No 1 was moetuka smash, had 300gms in the freezer, amazing with bbqs last week.
No. 2 was Northdown, fuggles, cascade/northdown - conditioning, really good.
Brewing No 3 tomorrow, fuggles bittering then some vac pac freezer 2013 bobek to use up. Got 2 x 100g packs - good old Copper Kettle stock. Hoping for a Duchars IPA result.
No 4 will be a Citra, Amarillo for slight bittering but mainly late Citra.
No 5 will be a good old Blacksheep ale.

Then - I’ve run out of Maris Otter, help.