Keeping Beer

Get advice on making beer from raw ingredients (malt, hops, water and yeast)
Mashman
Lost in an Alcoholic Haze

Keeping Beer

Post by Mashman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:36 am

I brew in a shed/outside, I'm way to messy to brew in the kitchen. So I tend not to brew in December, January and February. So with a bit more brewing time in my hands I'm looking to brew a few beers that will keep and improve until the winter gloom descends. Any style, light or dark, about 5% or so. I can keg or bottle. I have six bottles left of an imperial stout I brewed in 2017 which just gets better but at about 8% care is needed.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

gr_baker
Piss Artist

Re: Keeping Beer

Post by gr_baker » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:39 am

A classic IPA springs to mind. Pale malt and a lot of hops, preferably Goldings.

Dads_Ale
Piss Artist

Post by Dads_Ale » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:59 am

I brewed a couple of milds recently in preparation for a local CAMRA visit to 'My Shed' taproom in May. This is now not happening but the mild has turned out really good. One was at 2.8%, light and easy drinking, the other a Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild clone which came out at 5.8%. A very different beer but full flavour and will undoubtably store for longer. The Sarah Hughes one was just Pale and crystal malt and a few Goldings and Fuggles.

A lot will depend on what ingredients you have.

I am planning a few beers I have been thinking of doing for a while; Hibiscus IPA, Brut IPA, White IPA. These should compliment the milds :)

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:09 am

I brewed a Fullers 1845 attempt at a clone many moons ago that just got better and better over 12 months. There was a hefty slice of amber malt in there which takes at least 3 months to mellow out, so it’s made for keeping. This was the recipe I posted at the time. If I did it again I think I would simplify it a bit

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=56683&p=595234&hilit=1845#p595234
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer

Uncle Joshua
Steady Drinker

Post by Uncle Joshua » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:19 pm

I don't know if he visits here anymore but Seymour gave me loads of good recipes search for his posts.

Northern Brewer
Piss Artist

Post by Northern Brewer » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:32 pm

Marzen is the obvious choice...

Also a London porter - say 75% pale, 14% crystal, 10% brown, 1.5% chocolate to 1.055, 30 IBU.

Fuggled Mind
Hollow Legs

Post by Fuggled Mind » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:01 pm

I always think of dark beers when it comes to Winter and I like the idea of a Fuller's London Porter. Have you thought about a burton. Ron Pattinson's blog has loads of good ones and though it's a 'dead' style, some still exist like Theakston's Old Peculiar, Gales Festival Mild (these can be found in Graham Wheeler's BYOBRAAH).

For Porters and Stouts, Shut up about Barclay Perkins has loads. You can get all the recipes from here
http://www.unholymess.com/blog/lets-brew

As always, so many brews but so little time.

Cheers

Jason
Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields

Mashman

Post by Mashman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks for the ideas, lots to consider there. I do like a 1845, Broadside as well, particularly the bottled version. Porters and Stouts as well. Mind you the IPA appeals... Trouble is Ilike them all.

Never tried Marzen

M
Two Valleys Brewery

Brewing up trouble

CestrIan

Post by CestrIan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:04 pm

The obvious one is Bière de Garde which translates to “beer for keeping”. It’s a fizzy north french farmhouse ale, like saison that you lay down for drinking later in the year.
Stay Home - Make Beer - Drink Beer